Flowers or plants by post

Options
Hi. Recommendations for flowers or plants by post as a housewarming gift, please.
I've been the recipient of flowers by local florists - and the results have been mixed, to put it politely. Would I be better off with a big company rather than going directly to a local florist?
Any other ideas for a housewarming gift by post for someone who has everything they already need?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have ordered from upper tier florists that deliver locally and nationally and they've been excellent but are painfully expensive. Even our local rib guy now does next delivery to the US if you are willing to pay the price (meat is never frozen)

The other standard present is alcohol, harder to get through a letterbox but no issues if they are out when it's delivered. 
  • Pippiny
    Pippiny Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've used Bloom and Wild to send letterbox flowers multiple times, and they've always arrived on time, in good condition. There's usually a sign up offer / discount code if you Google, too.
  • Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was also going to say Bloom and Wild. 
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have ordered from upper tier florists that deliver locally and nationally and they've been excellent but are painfully expensive. Even our local rib guy now does next delivery to the US if you are willing to pay the price (meat is never frozen)

The other standard present is alcohol, harder to get through a letterbox but no issues if they are out when it's delivered. 

That's not necessarily true. A friend of ours was sent a bottle of wine as a gift; he was out and the box was thrown over the fence and the bottle smashed.

One of my friends has a weekly subscription with Freddie's Flowers. They deliver weekly by bicycle and I see them a lot around here so they are clearly very popular, and the flowers my friend receives always look good. They now do a gift service so that you can send them anywhere. Whether these are as good as the flowers delivered here in London by bicycle I don't know but if they are it would be a good option. https://www.freddiesflowers.com/gifting/

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    Options

That's not necessarily true. A friend of ours was sent a bottle of wine as a gift; he was out and the box was thrown over the fence and the bottle smashed.

One of my friends has a weekly subscription with Freddie's Flowers. They deliver weekly by bicycle and I see them a lot around here so they are clearly very popular, and the flowers my friend receives always look good. They now do a gift service so that you can send them anywhere. Whether these are as good as the flowers delivered here in London by bicycle I don't know but if they are it would be a good option. https://www.freddiesflowers.com/gifting/

Not sure flowers would have survived much better... was more thinking if it was sat in a local delivery office for a few days. 
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options

Not sure flowers would have survived much better... was more thinking if it was sat in a local delivery office for a few days. 
    Over the years we've had quite a lot of flowers sent to us via various delivery companies and on the whole they have arrived quickly and in reasonable condition.  Personally, if I'm going to give flowers I like to go to a florist and choose the flowers I want and have them made up there and then and give them to the recipient myself. I realise that that is not always possible though and so I don't send flowers all that often. We did send a plant to someone from Bunches recently but I don't know how good it was as they live in Sussex so I didn't see it and as they are a technophobe they didn't send a photo. Someone sent us two cyclamen in a very nice tub last year from Bunches and they were good.

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

I found Freddie's quite patchy in terms of quality,  and stopped subscribing as a result - that was a few years ago though so maybe they've improved.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    Options
    Have sent and received flowers through M and S and have also received wine gift through them,
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    Emmia said:

I found Freddie's quite patchy in terms of quality,  and stopped subscribing as a result - that was a few years ago though so maybe they've improved.

I haven't used them myself but the one's I've seen at my friend always look nice. Also, she is very particular about everything so I think she would have stopped using them if they weren't good. As you say, they might have improved from when you were using them. Although in my experience, quality usually goes down over time, rather than up!
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. It's given me a lot to think about.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback