P45 tax code

Options
Can I give my new employer my tax code from my last payslip if I don't have my P45 yet would that work? To avoid emergency tax

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March at 6:23PM
    Options
    Matt_22 said:
    Can I give my new employer my tax code from my last payslip if I don't have my P45 yet would that work? To avoid emergency tax
    If you complete a starter checklist (which they will supply) that'll do the trick: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/starter-checklist-for-paye
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Matt_22 said:
    If you complete a starter checklist (which they will supply) that'll do the trick: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/starter-checklist-for-paye
    Which will probably still result in emergency tax.

But you cannot use your payslip op.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Matt_22 said:
    Why do you not have your P45? 
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Matt_22 said:
    The emergency tax code is 1257L.

What tax code is on your payslip?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't have it on your first day, you can always give it in later. However it will only be any use to your new employer if they can act on the information before the end of the tax year, and time may be running out for that.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Matt_22 said:
    You can complete online using the link above - no need to wait for your new employer to supply it.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Complete the new starter form correctly and you'll be on 1257LX. 

• EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Matt_22 said:
    Why do you not have your P45? 
    becasue you donl;t get your P45 until after your last  payday, which if you are unlucky can be nearly 2 months after starting a new role if you  start mid month
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback