Upskilling on Analyst Requirements

Options
Hi,

I have noticed that several jobs are just slightly out of scope for me as I don't have the following, is there anywhere I can upskill on these or are they a little more difficult than that?

Power BI dashboards
SQL and power query.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are plenty of YouTube articles on both.  The problem you might have is proving actual experience in these skills to new employers.     In the past I’ve interviewed candidates who claimed various software experience and skills but had little experience applying them in commercial situations.   However willingness to learn in your own time can be a positive for prospective employers.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SieIso said:
    Hi,

I have noticed that several jobs are just slightly out of scope for me as I don't have the following, is there anywhere I can upskill on these or are they a little more difficult than that?

Power BI dashboards
    SQL and power query.

I'd say pick one of those and try to use it in your daily work - it's important to do actual real world work with them rather than just text book examples. Both are useful but if you try to learn them at the same time you will spread yourself too thinly. Sometimes it's better to be good at one thing than just be able to hack around with two different things.

There are plenty of other analytics tools available - Spotfire, Tableau, R etc and different companies will prefer different applications so you need to be flexible in learning something new so it's important to show an ability and willingness to learn..  I may be old fashioned now but I still think you can't go wrong with a good foundation in SQL as it is at the core of a lot of data science. I'm pretty rubbish at Power Query though.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    SieIso said:
    Hi,

Power BI dashboards
    SQL and power query.

Are you wanting to transition into a Data Analyst? What's the long term aim?
  • SieIso
    SieIso Posts: 151 Forumite
    edited 12 March at 1:51PM
    Options
    This one is available through work concerning SQL, it looks decent:

15 Days of SQL: The Complete SQL Masterclass 2024

• SieIso
    SieIso Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    SieIso said:
    Hi,

Power BI dashboards
    SQL and power query.

I do sit partly within that field at the moment but my experience is heavily focused towards Excel.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SieIso said:
    SieIso said:
    Hi,

Power BI dashboards
    SQL and power query.

I do sit partly within that field at the moment but my experience is heavily focused towards Excel.
    In which case I would start by trying to do some of your usual work in Power Query within Excel as you will already have everything you need to get started. It's a good way of automating repetitive steps in data analysis so that you can show off to your boss that you can get work done quicker.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback