employer docked my pay,

Options
Hello,
I was working for royal mail until recently, I lost my job due to gross misconduct as a result of my depression. 
Before Christmas, I took two unauthorised days of absence, these two days were confirmed in the dismissal meeting with my manager, 23rd and 24th. I went back to work on the 27th. I have found that they have docked my wages from the 23rd to the 29th. I have gotten proof of my clockins and my supervisor knew I was at work from the 27th. How can I get that money back? I was under the assumtion that if I show up for work, clock in/out and do the work that I am actually there at work? My manager, a woman with a bad reputation and known for this kind of behaviour, I believe is trying to abuse her position and punishing me. Can I get this money back? I have since emailed her with no response. I do not want to talk to her on the phone as I suspect she will be rude to me and claim that she meant to deduct the full week. Any help would be much appreciated.  

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You don't email the manager - you contact Royal Mail HR
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    simon1138 said:
    Hello,
    I was working for royal mail until recently, I lost my job due to gross misconduct as a result of my depression. 
    Before Christmas, I took two unauthorised days of absence, these two days were confirmed in the dismissal meeting with my manager, 23rd and 24th. I went back to work on the 27th. I have found that they have docked my wages from the 23rd to the 29th. I have gotten proof of my clockins and my supervisor knew I was at work from the 27th. How can I get that money back? I was under the assumtion that if I show up for work, clock in/out and do the work that I am actually there at work? My manager, a woman with a bad reputation and known for this kind of behaviour, I believe is trying to abuse her position and punishing me. Can I get this money back? I have since emailed her with no response. I do not want to talk to her on the phone as I suspect she will be rude to me and claim that she meant to deduct the full week. Any help would be much appreciated.  
    Yes.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of your dismissal, your must be paid for the days you worked plus any accrued but untaken holiday at the date of your dismissal.

If your conduct did amount to gross misconduct then there is no entitlement to notice or pay on lieu. However, if it were "only" misconduct (i.e not gross) they you are entitled to at least a week's notice (or more depending on your length of employment and your contract).

Were you suspended prior to a disciplinary hearing? If so you are also entitled to be paid for that period.
  • simon1138
    simon1138 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello,
    It was gross misconduct. I did contact HR but they are not doing anything about it. The Royal Mail HR are well known for being a rather difficult group to get in contact with, mostly because of how the place is run. I would like to escalate this before it gets the better of me. How could I do that please? I heard something about a work tribunal where I could be heard and a court decide. I had not taken any holiday and I think there was some there, having started in October and ending in January. I had been there through an agency for 6 months, before the new manager showed up and ruined things. I was there almost a year.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    Options
    Member of the union?

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Options
    so did you work for Royal Mail or an agency for the full period of time?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback