Loan agreement letter

Options
Doubleshotdamo
Doubleshotdamo Posts: 60 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi, my son is 18 and decided to opt for credit over 6 years costing him £1700 in interest for eye surgery.  The credit agreement has been accepted, and he has 14 days to change his mind.
I agreed to lend him the money (I'll actually pay for the surgery using a 0% credit card) and he will pay me back interest free over 72 months.  Can somebody let me know where I can get a template letter for us to both sign, agreeing on repayment terms?  Generally, we get on ok, but 6 years is a long time and things can change. 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As an aside, I am surprised they have agreed to do laser eye surgery at the age of 18, I got told I couldnt as my prescription hadnt settled, but maybe things have changed now.
  • Doubleshotdamo
    Doubleshotdamo Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:
    As an aside, I am surprised they have agreed to do laser eye surgery at the age of 18, I got told I couldnt as my prescription hadnt settled, but maybe things have changed now.
    I was surprised too for the same reason, but they spoke on the phone with his optician and said all was good.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could no doubt download a template off the internet but as you are not a licenced lender and unless you are willing to take your kid to court, lend on the assumption you won't get it back and if you do, that's great
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can somebody let me know where I can get a template letter for us to both sign, agreeing on repayment terms?  
    You will find a generic template by searching online.  However, in the event of him defaulting, it will be next to useless unless (a) you are willing to take him to court and (b) he has the assets to pay you.  As his father, I would expect that any scenario where he does not repay you is because he cannot.  In that case, even if you win in court, he cannot be forced to pay you money that he does not have.        
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Such agreements are not worth the paper they are written on, even agreements regulated by the consumer credit act which are regularly broken and not complied with, cannot be enforced if the debtor does not have the means to pay it.

No amount of legal action can change that, your son will repay the debt to you because he`s your son, not because of any words on a piece of paper.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback