Property repossession

Options
My husband had a property repossessed in January 2020 however the first missed mortgage payment was January 2019. On his recent Experian report it details that the default date in January 2020. Our understanding is that the date on the credit report should be the first missed payment which lead to the repossession, therefore it should detail January 2019 not January 2020. 
The debt has all been settled and is marked as satisfied on the report. 
We’ve contacted the mortgage company to advise the above but they have written back to say it’s correct, repossession date of January 2020 is correct on your credit report! 

Any help or advice would be great! 

Thanks 

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You do not default on the first missed payment, that is just a late/missed payment. Usually it would show 1, 2, 3 etc on your credit report. If you were making partial payments it might show as 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4 etc and that might explain why it took 12 months to default. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback