Opening a basic bank account but with no credit file?

Options
Riverstone58
Riverstone58 Posts: 81 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 8 March at 9:30PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hello, I'm an undischarged bankrupt and looking to open a basic bank account. 
I'm of somewhat elderly years and have ZERO credit history: I've had no credit cards, personal loans, energy bills which have been in my name, phone contracts, TV subscriptions, etc, etc. So nothing on any credit file about me.
I've been using a savings account for probably the best part of 30 years for payments going in and expenditure paid for in cash. The OR at the time was a bit surprised but is this likely to cause any issues or raise any questions in trying to open an account?
Also, as I have no passport or driving licence I would have to visit a branch to provide alternative forms of ID which is another consideration I have to take in to account.
I was going to put this in the banking forum but as I'm bankrupt I thought it would be best to start here if anyone has any suggestions?
Thanks for any help available.

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A bank account is the perfect place to start.

You'll need to provide ID, but that Is standard for any kind of account.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Go in with any correspondence you have from the council (council tax), anything from your state pension (if you're elderly enough), water/gas/phone bill, bus pass, library card if your's has you name on it (ours don't).  Maybe your tenancy agreement?

And some copies of your saving account statements - but it occurs to me that that will be with one of the high street banks so maybe you could go into a branch for the same one as they would, in effect, already "know" you.  obviously you would have your debit card for your account?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do make sure you are on the electoral roll at your current address. If you start with a basic bank account, like Co-op for example, they will ask for ID but the first requirement is a quick check to see if you are on the electoral roll at the address. Once they are satisfied with that, they need a specified number of specified both documents without photo ID for you to pass muster.

Maybe drop by and ask what you need? 

A basic account gives you a bank card, on-line banking and standing orders. Open a saving account alongside and drip feed, and you may be offered a standard account after a year or so.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure