It this Unenforceable

Options

I have “recently” received a letter from PRA who I had been studiously ignoring for some time, however I called them back and said I didn’t recognise the debt and asked for details.

They put it on hold until 17th of March and this letter arrived...

After the obligatory panic period it slowly dawned on me that this may be out of time.

My question is:

Is it out of time and what do I do now? I have looked at some letter templates in https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6027755/statute-barred-debts-and-the-limitation-act#latest but I am not sure which, if any, to use.

Please help.

LJ

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just looking at the address in the top right, are you in Scotland, or England?
  • Lady_Jennifer
    Options
    I'm in SE England (Sussex)
  • Lady_Jennifer
    Options
    I withdraw the question. Further details have arrived showing payments made in 2023
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I withdraw the question. Further details have arrived showing payments made in 2023
    Payments by who though?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Tony5896
    Tony5896 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Did you make a payment in 2023 ? 

if not who did?
  • Themoneyshot
    Themoneyshot Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Payments by who though?
    And when in 2023? There may still be a full 6 year gap?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,182 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Would a collection agency make a payment to ensure an account doesn't become statute barred??
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Brie said:
    Would a collection agency make a payment to ensure an account doesn't become statute barred??
    No but its common practice for debt purchasing companies to move small amounts of money, say £2, into an account to make it look as though a payment was made.

Of course it won`t affect the limitation period, but they hope you don`t realise that.

I hope the OP can elaborate more on when these payments were made and by whom.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Based on their written evidence, both accounts became statute barred on 29/6/23

Send a statute barred letter and ignore everything short of a pre-action protocol letter
  • Sly72
    Sly72 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    majority of PRA letters come from scotland
    I have Dyslexia which is a learning difficulty that primarily affects the skills involved in accurate and fluent word reading and spelling so some post may not make sense.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback