Any success stories from challenging rejection of flexible working requests?

Options

Comments

• WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The “traps” most people fall into when dealing with flexible working requests are:

a) you have a legal right to ASK

b) the company is under NO legal obligation to allow

c) people frame and word the request citing the benefits to THEM. Whereas the “art” is to word it to demonstrate that it will benefit the company (or not detriment them)
    Exactly.
    Point out in the request the cost saving to the business and extra flexibility it could give I find you are doing different hours to what’s you would do in the office.
    Be awareness though that if they are providing equipment for you to work at home having you back in the office all the time may save them money.
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pinneypen said:
    Hoenir said:
    Pinneypen said:
     My work is entirely online so I think it would be hard to argue customer demand issues.

Are your customers internal or external or both? 

External, in other countries.
    so the vast majority of your interactions are by  email, other 'messaging' technology or phone ? or is it a business where there are still  physical documents and/or products to be handled ?
  • EnPointe
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The “traps” most people fall into when dealing with flexible working requests are:

c) people frame and word the request citing the benefits to THEM. Whereas the “art” is to word it to demonstrate that it will benefit the company (or not detriment them)
    a manager / director with your attitude towards flexible working  will end up in one or both of two places 

1. missing  valuable  staff 
    2. a courtroom  in front of an employment Judge 

• LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 March at 3:38PM
    Options
    EnPointe said:

a manager / director with your attitude towards flexible working  will end up in one or both of two places 

curious as to which aspect of my response would lead to this

There is nothing (that I am aware of) in employment law that states an Employer must accept a flexible working request purely on the grounds that it benefits the employee in some way
  • EnPointe
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EnPointe said:

There is nothing (that I am aware of) in employment law that states an Employer must accept a flexible working request purely on the grounds that it benefits the employee in some way
    enjoy your constructive dismissal claim 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EnPointe said:
    EnPointe said:

At the very least the Employer has 3 months in which to make a decision. The broad recall of all employees seems to suggest that the employer is preparing for all eventualities. 
  • LightFlare
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 March at 8:13PM
    Options
    EnPointe said:
    EnPointe said:

Constructive Dismissal is a very high bar to meet.

Refusing a flexible working request (unless the employer totally messed up) is unlikely to get anywhere near an employment tribunal

I stand by my original statement to which you still haven’t been willing to divulge what is incorrect about it
  • LightFlare
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 March at 8:53AM
    Options
    Just to clarify - I am 100% not anti flexible working or anti wfh.

There are many reasons why companies may allow these aspects and many reasons why they may also refuse them

Unless a contract specifically states something, then temporary measures (such as wfh during the pandemic) are just that - temporary 

In any event, it is reasonably easy for a company to change a contract if they follow correct procedures (The magnitude and impact of any change may be cause for dispute though)

I think more and more employees are gaining some sense of entitlement or perceiving rights where there are none and subsequently accuse any employer that chooses something not in alignment (but within the law) being bullies,toxic or authoritarian 

The law is generally quite extensive in manners dealing with employment but one thing it doesn’t include is hurt feelings
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,870 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EnPointe said:
    EnPointe said:

Of which less than 5% are won at tribunal (although obviously some others reach settlement beforehand).

As LightFlare has suggested it is remarkably easy for an employer who is so minded to find perfectly lawful ways of turning down such requests.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EnPointe said:
    EnPointe said:

Care to site any case law or examples? LightFlare seems to have summed it up pretty succinctly and your responses don't cut much mustard. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback