Recent Backdated Widowed Parent Allowance Campaign.

Options
Hi,

I got my application in. Partner at the time died (25/03/2004) and we had a child so thought I was good for what would have amounted to approximately £6000.

The DW&P replied stating "we cannot pay you because I was not receiving Child Benefit on the  30/08/2018".

I called the DW&P helpline number and was told the MSE campaign omitted that condition to claiming.

I'm quite upset to have got it all dredged up again in my mind and hope of a little help coming my way.  If Martin has £10million to give away to charitable causes I'd be very grateful for a nod this way to help me out after the disappointment.

Can I ask if this is the case, have others been told the same?

Is anyone considering appealing all the way up to the European Supreme Court to fight to get their circumstances added into the law to receive the WPA backdated?

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Debt free, the best way to be. :A

Comments

• Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The MSE article does say you have to be entitled  Child Benefit even if not claiming, not that you had to be eligible when your partner dies, so I don’t think there is any ambiguity there.
    There’s absolutely no way Martin Lewis is going to pay you for your upset because you didn’t read the eligibility rules!
  • andyc1909
    andyc1909 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The MSE article does say you have to be entitled  Child Benefit even if not claiming, not that you had to be eligible when your partner dies, so I don’t think there is any ambiguity there.
    There’s absolutely no way Martin Lewis is going to pay you for your upset because you didn’t read the eligibility rules!
    Hey, was tongue in cheek, thanks for replying. Martin and MSE are amazing just to be clear.
    Debt free, the best way to be. :A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure