Can maintainance be paid directly to the child when they reach the age of 18?

Options
I pay maintenance  for my 2 daughters (age 18 and 19 )who live with  there dad they are both still  going  to college so there for I am required  to continue  payments  till they reach 20 I would  like  to know  if  the money  can be paid  directly  to my daughters accounts instead  of there dads account 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Does your ex agree? 

Normally it has to be paid to the parent as its intended to cover the cost of putting a roof over their heads, keeping them warm at night etc and not to be used by the kid to buy makeup or drinks in a night club or whatever else a 18 year old may be into.
  • castle4079
    castle4079 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for  the reply I see you're  point 
    I hadn't  braught  the subject  up with the ex yet  as wasn't  sure  this was right or wrong 
    However  if it goes to the child at the age of 18 and above  they could  learn  to pay  rent  ect while  still  having  the support  of  living  at home 
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd be wary of doing this. It's some years ago but my neighbour did this with his daughters from a previous marriage and paid them directly. From memory they were slightly younger than yours at 16+ but at the same educational stage (had finished GCSEs but were at sixth form/college) and he did it because of sour tensions between him and his ex wife so his daughters could have the cash and (in his view) his ex couldn't spend it on getting her nails done and buying things for her much younger children from her subsequent marriage. His ex took it to the then CSA who agreed with her, he wasn't paying her the maintenance that he was required to. It became arears that he was liable for even though he could show he'd paid the amount directly to his daughters.

I don't know if the same still applies today but I'd be cautious just in case it does. If your daughters are 18 and 19 already the time that you need to continue to pay maintenance to their Dad is coming to an end within the next couple of years anyway, after which you can choose whether or not you wish to support your daughters directly. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback