Tesco delivering out of date food advice needed

Options
teddybear154
teddybear154 Posts: 192 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 2 March at 6:25PM in Food shopping & groceries
I wonder if any one can help me. I had a food order delivered on 10th February from Tesco's. One of the items I ordered was a Chinese meal kit which was meant to be for a special birthday meal for me and my daughter. 

When putting away shopping I suddenly noticed it was out of date by 2 days. Not a best before it was a use by date. 

I contacted Tesco's to complain they appologised and refunded me and tried to fob me off with some vouchers. I didn't care about the money I wanted to know how it happened and that it won't happen again. They told me they had contacted store checked shelf's and would talk to staff and make sure it doesn't happen again.

We'll last week on 28th February I had another delivery. Checked dates on most things and put shopping away.

Today I took some garlic bread out that was delivered on 28th February to have with a pasta Bolognese. 

Just as I was about to open it when I noticed date. It said useby date 25th February so yet again I was delivered 3 days out of date food. Don't know how I missed it when putting shopping away.

Thank goodness we didn't eat it.

I've contacted Tesco's to complain again. Waiting for someone to get back to me.

I'll probably be changing shops now as can't trust Tesco's.

Like said I don't care about the money. It's the health and safety I'm worried about.

They clearly are not listening.

Am I wrong to be angry about being delivered out of date food. 

Is it worth reporting them to trading standards or is there some where else I need to report them too. Or should I just leave it.

I'm really worried that one of these days someone is going to get sick. 
If it was a best before date I wouldn't be that bothered but it use by date on both items. 

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 March at 7:11PM
    Options
    It happens, wrongly though. They refunded and offered you vouchers. 

I had it happen to me before with Tesco with fresh chicken which I was concerned about. Garlic bread I certainly would have eaten although that’s not the point, and I agree that they shouldn’t be doing it. 

Personally I wouldn’t create a fuss as I doubt anything will actually be done, I was told when I complained that if I went further I couldn’t prove it was the same item that they had delivered. 

vote with your feet. I now use Asda, Ocado & Waitrose and don’t have the problem anymore. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are often items on same day dates when I get tesco shopping delivered. They have always refunded.

It's massively inconvenient but many things can still be used. I had one delivery where 6 items all needed to be eaten that day and 1 was out of date and the shopping came at 9pm. I was not impressed (was physically not easy to eat a whole pack of 500g mince plus the rest in that evening) but again they refunded the lot.

Going to trading standards will only inconvenience you and not tesco. I would say get your refund and move on shop elsewhere if you aren't happy with them.

• Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are minded to switch, I've had some short life items from Sainsbury's, but never anything past its use-by.  Ocado are much better, and they have a feature in their app where you can look at your receipt and see what the use by dates are in order of shortest to longest and plan meals if there is anything that (say) needs eating before the weekend.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,232 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you are minded to switch, I've had some short life items from Sainsbury's, but never anything past its use-by. 
    Same here with Asda, some near date but nothing past. Never had any problems with online refunds either.

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have had short-dated organic spring onions for free, once, from Waitrose. Only short-dated product from ASDA has been Polish live sour cream. Nothing short-dated from other supermarkets. Nothing out of date.

I would have contacted both Tesco and Trading Standards about our of date chicken. That's a definite potential health issue. 
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When you get an online delivery from asda, tesco, sainsbury's etc, it comes from the local store.

It suggests to me that the local tesco, where your order has come from, has an issue with their staff.  You can almost picture the person doing your order with very little care. Throwing things in the trolley.  Added onto that the staff are not going through their stock properly.

I doubt things will change, so as suggested vote with your feet and make use of the first shop offers that you can get from using other stores.

I use ocado because they are very efficient and rarely have any problems. 
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March at 12:38PM
    Options
    Switch supermarkets.
    I have used Asda, Tesco, Iceland, Morrisons, Ocado, Sainsburies and maybe even others, and for use by dates Tesco were by far the worst.
    It was so bad the delivery driver would be spending a few minutes every delivery scanning goods for refund, and I would often have half the shop refunded.

I dont expect its this bad for all customers, like me you probably stuck with a store that has bad stock management. :(

For dates, stores that deliver from distribution centres, tend to be far better, as you getting the food from earlier in the supply chain, Ocado is an obvious one, but if you in an Ocado area, Morrisons might also be from the same distribution centre.  I feel supermarket stores tend to favour in store shoppers over delivery customers.  Iceland even admitted so much to me over the phone on a query.

As an example if I order yoghurts via Morrisons website delivered from distribution centre, typically at least 2 weeks use by date, if I do it over something like deliveroo, delivered from store in town, it might be a couple of days if lucky.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or local Tesco has a lot of staff going around picking on-line orders ( mainly young 16-8yr olds) .....you can see by the way they work that they don't look at any dates on items, so what you get is whatever is the first to grab on the shelf.

• subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March at 12:46PM
    Options
    Mistakes can happen anywhere, making mistakes is part of what makes us human. If you want perfection every time you have to use a machine.

I've had stuff from Tesco with a very short shelf life which I would never have put in my basket if I was shopping in person. But they always refund it. We buy a lot of tinned food and find there are often dented tins that would probably never sell to people shopping in person but I'm sure it's their way of getting rid of dented tins.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mistakes can happen anywhere, making mistakes is part of what makes us human. If you want perfection every time you have to use a machine.
    If you think that I suggest you broaden your Horizon 
    Let's Be Careful Out There
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport