Save money on clothing?

Options
I don't buy many clothes but when I do it's expensive.  I can't go shopping as my toddler won't let me 😂 so I buy online or in Sainsburys before work. Not a lot of choice for this fussy person. 

I looked into 2nd hand but I'm concerned it's just as expensive and things won't last long as new?

I usually buy new jeans/combat/light weight summer trousers every two years or so unless my size changes. T shirts every year.
Since having my daughter most of my summer tops no longer fit but it's so expensive to replace them all so I'm wondering if anyone has tips or can recommend anywhere to buy that's good quality and affordable? 

If that doesn't exist fair enough 🤣 I'm not great at clothes shopping and my usual places for tops are unaffordable now mainly EMP which are hugely expensive and Redbubble which I only buy in the sale.

Comments

• Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm only shopping on vinted at the moment, basically I rebuy clothes/brands/styles I already own so I know they fit and will last. I find the prices on vinted are generally quite good but you do have to think about postage, it's better when the same seller has multiple things. 
  • CurlySue2017
    CurlySue2017 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing that if you buy from EMP and Redbubble, you like the alternative look?  I used to be a regular shopper at EMP too but sadly can no longer afford it - the prices were always high but now they are crazy!!
    If you're looking for t-shirts that you can replace every year, can I suggest you try Shein.  I know it's "fast fashion" which may not be morally sound, but needs must and it is very affordable.
    I maybe wouldn't buy anything special from there, but if you're just looking for summer t-shirts and similar things, the quality is pretty good for the prices and they wash well too.  They have lots of choice so you will find something to suit most styles, including alternative! 

• Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't buy many clothes but when I do it's expensive.  I can't go shopping as my toddler won't let me 😂 so I buy online or in Sainsburys before work. Not a lot of choice for this fussy person. 

I looked into 2nd hand but I'm concerned it's just as expensive and things won't last long as new?

I usually buy new jeans/combat/light weight summer trousers every two years or so unless my size changes. T shirts every year.
    Since having my daughter most of my summer tops no longer fit but it's so expensive to replace them all so I'm wondering if anyone has tips or can recommend anywhere to buy that's good quality and affordable? 

If that doesn't exist fair enough 🤣 I'm not great at clothes shopping and my usual places for tops are unaffordable now mainly EMP which are hugely expensive and Redbubble which I only buy in the sale.

You need to get on the 2024-chazzer thread on the OS board. Good quality clobber, and your toddler will most likely need to be ripped away from the toy section!
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,052 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to get on the 2024-chazzer thread on the OS board. Good quality clobber, and your toddler will most likely need to be ripped away from the toy section!
    Here's the link: Shop Charity Store in '24! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Any week now the car boot season will be starting: I've had some amazing finds there especially at the beginning and end of the season when people are raising some cash from having a clear out. I get why you are concerned about second hand things having less life left in them and of course that can be so, but sometimes people sell things they've never worn, or worn once, or unwanted presents etc. It's worth a look - take a few carrier bags if you have a toddler with you because there are always children's books and toys.

Car boot prices vary a lot, but in general they are cheaper than charity shops and if you buy something and don't like it on you, it's not a wasted big expense. Disadvantages: you generally can't try items on so take a friend who will tell you whether it's your colour. On the rare occasion something comes to pieces (I think it's happened once to me in years of avid car booting), you can't take it back.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for charity shops: I don't know where you are, but it's rare for there to be just one charity shop, they usually come in at least pairs and often threes and fours. And they may vary in starting price: my city has cheap areas and pricey ones, even within the same 'chain' of shop. Do check their returns policy: I often can't be bothered to try stuff on at the time (especially in winter!) which does mean I buy infrequently from one of the chains, because they'll only give a credit note. 

How about teaming up with another mum, either venturing out together (I'd recommend) or swapping children for an hour or two. 

Also look out for clothes swaps: I've got one on Friday evening! 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • harlequinnyc
    harlequinnyc Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd recommend H&M online and sign up as a 'member'. You then get member prices - a bit like nectar prices! and free delivery.  Their clothes are very reasonably priced, I think quite stylish and the sizes aren't skimpy, like a lot of shops.
  • Jenwales_2
    Jenwales_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Never get chance to go but I keep meaning to. I will eventually 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure