Paid off mortgage ( post bankruptcy) and money in suspense account

Options
Firstly, I would like to thank anyone in advance who reads and advises on this post, and to say to anyone struggling that although I was devastated when made bankrupt, everything passes and things do get better.
To my dilemma and some background for context.
My O/H and I were made bankrupt after a business issue where the bank sold our debts, considerable business assets and Personal Guarantees onto a third party. This firm had the right to deal with the asserts in any order they wished so called in the PGs first while sitting on the land bank. We tried to fight this through the courts and lost.
Things progressed through bankruptcy as they do, sometime post discharge we were informed by the same bank that our current account mortgage, (CAM) ,which we had struggled to keep up with ( including me cashing in my pension to do so), was automatically in default due to bankruptcy having infringed its T& Cs. Immediate payment was demanded and repossession action commenced.
The interest payments we paid subsequently were put into a new account and were not posted against the interest accruing on the CAM.
To cut a long story short, we fought the bank’s action on the basis that we could afford the repayments and there seemed to be some there seemed to be some alarm on the bank’s part about me having used my pension ,and a compromise was reached.
We negotiated a settlement at less than the outstanding amount on the basis of a lump sum via remortgage. No mention has been made of the the sum sitting in the suspense account, it wasn’t mentioned in the settlement agreement and we continued receiving monthly statements showing it up until we settled which was recently.We have no way of accessing the account as no cards or cheque book were issued.
What, if anything should we do about it? If the bank retain it then they have received more than the settlement figure which was a specific amount and not a settlement figure based upon the actual mortgage outstanding.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback