Car Finance Goodwill Payment From Repayment Difficulties

Options
gregc77
gregc77 Posts: 1 Newbie
I have received a letter from VWFS regarding a car I purchased on PCP in 2015 and subsequently refinanced in the car in 2019 to fully repay and purchase the car.  

During COVID I struggled with repayments and they have now written to advising that they are offering me a goodwill payment and I am unsure if I should accept it or not.  

I would be grateful of any advice.

Thanks
Greg

The letter is worded as follows:- 

We strive to provide customers with high quality services, and to ensure we are achieving this we carry out internal reviews.  We've recently looked at how we have previously supported customers who contacted us about repayment difficulties or have missed payments in relations to motor finance products. 

Whilst we have not specifically review our interactions with all our customers, our finding show that we may not have provided you with a service that meets the standards we aim to deliver.  

We are deeply sorry if this was not the case and to make amends for an unnecessary inconvenience we are making a goodwill payment to you of £400.

----

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you'd like £400, then accept it.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Free money sounds nice. I would accept and say thank you very much.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not clear from your post in what way their service failed to meet their standards. Why are you questioning whether you should accept it? Do you feel it should be more?
  • hopeless94
    hopeless94 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    gregc77 said:
    I have received a letter from VWFS regarding a car I purchased on PCP in 2015 and subsequently refinanced in the car in 2019 to fully repay and purchase the car.  

During COVID I struggled with repayments and they have now written to advising that they are offering me a goodwill payment and I am unsure if I should accept it or not.  

I would be grateful of any advice.

Thanks
    Greg

The letter is worded as follows:- 

We strive to provide customers with high quality services, and to ensure we are achieving this we carry out internal reviews.  We've recently looked at how we have previously supported customers who contacted us about repayment difficulties or have missed payments in relations to motor finance products. 

Whilst we have not specifically review our interactions with all our customers, our finding show that we may not have provided you with a service that meets the standards we aim to deliver.  

We are deeply sorry if this was not the case and to make amends for an unnecessary inconvenience we are making a goodwill payment to you of £400.

----

I've just received this email too. Did you get the money in the end? I'm hoping it's true and not spam
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Assuming the letter is genuine, then accept the £400.  It is money for nothing.
    If you don't want the £400, still accept it and then donate to charity.
  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can also use the MSE tool to check if VWFS (and any other finance lenders) charged you any discretionary commission, it's here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/reclaim-car-finance/
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ManyWays said:
    You can also use the MSE tool to check if VWFS (and any other finance lenders) charged you any discretionary commission, it's here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/reclaim-car-finance/
    Thought that the VAG group including VWFS had already confirmed they did not do discretionary finance.
  • Sdj92
    Sdj92 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Did you accept the payment?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business