PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegetarian meatballs

Options
Has anyone a good recipe they could recommend and share?  I find the store bought ones dry and too dense and under-seasoned and would like to make my own so I can control texture and taste once I've found a basic good recipe.  I've looked around the net and the most interesting sounding ones are based either on chickpeas or black beans (I'm not fond of the all vegetable based ones).  I've tried various recipes from the net before without finding a keeper recipe.
Thanks.

Comments

• tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I made some recently based on aubergine. The recipe was Vegan.  I can’t find the recipe I used but this one is similar. Mine had chilli rather than herbs. Froze well.   https://veggiedesserts.com/easy-vegan-eggplant-meatballs-aubergine/
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 February at 12:17PM
    Options
    I saw this one yesterday, sounded interesting, I'd probably mess about a bit with some of the ingredients, [no idea what coconut aminos are] , I'd probably add some porcini mushrooms and an egg etc...but otherwise, it sounds quite nice.
    oops, forgot link

Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    -taff said:
    I saw this one yesterday, sounded interesting, I'd probably mess about a bit with some of the ingredients, [no idea what coconut aminos are] , I'd probably add some porcini mushrooms and an egg etc...but otherwise, it sounds quite nice.
    oops, forgot link

I’ve book marked these to try. Thanks @-taff
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've made these before and they were really tasty. You can mix/ change the ingredients as you feel suits you best
    My vegan friend loves this recipe!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-meatballs
  • pinkladyvenus
    pinkladyvenus Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I always use the recipes from her site they are pretty fail safe. https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/easy-vegan-meatballs-tvp/
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    Options
     Working_Mum said:
    I've made these before and they were really tasty. You can mix/ change the ingredients as you feel suits you best
    My vegan friend loves this recipe!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-meatballs

These are really good I have used a simplified recipe based on this and as I'm not vegan have mixed in some vegetarian parmesan. 
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wish they wouldn't call veggie things meatballs; every veggie thing I've had which tried to be meat was awful.
    Then again, I don't know if "veggieballs" will catch on.
  • t33
    t33 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for suggestions.  I'm going to give the BBC one a go with some variations, I generally put some grated cheddar or parmesan in for some 'fat' content to make them less dense, also tasty.  As mentioned, these types of recipes are easily amended/adapted.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a recipe for a rissole type rather than a meatball type, never fails but you will probably have to substitute the meat with either the soy one or something similar.
    Mash potatoes, same amount of veg mince [reconstitued already] or a little bit less, grated parmesan, parsely, garlic, an egg or two dependng on how much you make, salt, pepper if you like it, i don't so I don't, mix well, dip in flour, tap between your hands to get rid of excess, and then shape into small patties maybe two inches across and fry until golden.
    I can't give quantitites because it's all by eye and I usually make these with leftover beef ground up or cooked mince. They're to use up excess meat while stretching it out a bit, it would probably work with ground up lentils or chickpeas [ not finely ground though...]
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    These are delicious but don't expect them to be anywhere near as firm as meatballs. I am a big fan of this curry (not that I ever make it!).
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport