Paying Parent has lost job and is now not having to pay. What's next?

Options
Hi 
My ex, whom I won't bother boring you all with details about as its not needed for my question....

He has lost his job and thus now not having to pay child maintenance. this would be the last 15/16 months of payments as my son turns 17 next month. 

I have a couple of questions that the CMS are not answering me on. 

1) How do we now know when he gets a new job?  He will avoid payments at all costs as he's not a nice person and every year (after I let him off for the first 2.5 years) he battles to get the amount down and demands a review and stops paying. For the first time in fact he has now lost his job. 
If he starts earning again in May 2024 the CMS say they wont do a review now until Jan 2025. 
How does that work? He will avoid payments at all costs and won't openly admit getting a new job.  

2) If in Jan 2025 (next review) he has in fact been earning again what happens to the back pay? 
Also given that then my son will be drawing close to the end of education at 18. Does he have to fulfill any due amounts after he turns 18 if they were due before. If not I suspect he'll play all the delay tactics as that's what he usually does.

Last time I say him he has earned more in the last tax year and was due to pay a higher amount. He joked he would quit the job and get a lower paid one so that they work it out on the new amount- is that true!? 

I do not what him to shirk his responsibility for the child HE wanted when I was not ready. This is the least he can do as I have struggled to cope with the life he has left us with. 

Normally when he gets behind he then claims hardship and it takes years to catch up, there is often an arrears amount. - 

I hope that makes sense?
Thanks to anyone who can shed light on how it works. 

Comments

• mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m pretty sure if he gets a new job you can ask for a change of earnings recalculation based on the fact his income has increased by 25% or more. 
  • kroebuck1981
    Options
    Hi - how would I know when/if he gets an new job? He will no declare it. And if he doesn't will it still be due after my son turns 18 if he's lied to avoid paying. Which he does regularly. Normally it catches up but I dont know what will happen for this last year. 
  • carlos1973
    carlos1973 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even with no job he will still be expected to contribute from his benefits, the flat rate if he's on UC is £7 a week. It's only £30.30 a month but better than nothing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback