Options
13»

Comments

• ChillyP
    ChillyP Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ChillyP said:
    We spoke to one of the creditors half an hour ago. We still don't have the death certificate so they couldn't go through the entire process, however the person on the phone explained that if there are no assets, the debt will likely be written off.
    That is the usual course of events with most consumer credit debts, I went through the same thing myself last year with my Brothers debts after he died.

He had a bit less than 10k on various credit products, and it took one letter to each lender for them to write it all off, no questions asked.

Just because a legal framework exists, it doesn't mean it always get used, oh, and his funeral was £3500, which is pretty standard nowadays, and yes, that is paid from his assets before any other debts.
    Thanks Sourcrates, 

I appreciate you taking the time to post x
  • ChillyP
    Options
    It’s been straightforward so far. Still waiting to hear back from the bank who provided the Loan. Really hope that they aren’t going to be difficult. This us the biggest singular debt at £5200. 
  • ChillyP
    Options
    Hi, 

Sorry to post again....

The credit card providers have been good and it looks as though the debts will be written off, however the bank ( TSB) where the loan in held are a bit trickier. I appreciate that they may just be trying to see if we pay up!

I am mithering over this a bit, so thought I would post again....

As this debt is over 5k, is there more of a chance that they could attempt to apply for an insolvency administration order? Would a debt of 5K warrant this, or would their costs make it unviable?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,987 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've seen banks write off mortgage shortfall debts of 80k plus in similar circumstances, I don`t think a loan of 5k will be much of an issue.

They could apply for one, also you could win the lotto tonight, a lot of things could happen, But I seriously doubt they will do as you fear.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback