Returning Company Car

Options
I have just resigned from a role and I have been told that I am now obliged to have to return the company car back to the business. This will involve a 6 hour drive up to the office, and then having to find a way back ( they have offered to purchase a train ticket) 

I have suggested that the car is collected by means of a driver / collection company as it will cost a similar amount to me fuelling the car, staying over night, and train home. 

Am i legally obliged to return the car in this manner, or is this simply for their convenience? Nothing in my contract states that I have this responsibility. Just that everything company owned needs to be returned. Can they recover costs from me for having the car collected?

Any advice would be welcomed. 

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd do it as two days work during my notice period, they can hardly complain at that. I've had worse days at work than that. If you make it an issue the only thing they can do is accidently delay / mess up your final pay or make any employment reference slightly worse than they would have done.

What did they do when the car was delivered out of interest?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just resigned from a role and I have been told that I am now obliged to have to return the company car back to the business. This will involve a 6 hour drive up to the office, and then having to find a way back ( they have offered to purchase a train ticket) 

I have suggested that the car is collected by means of a driver / collection company as it will cost a similar amount to me fuelling the car, staying over night, and train home. 

Am i legally obliged to return the car in this manner, or is this simply for their convenience? Nothing in my contract states that I have this responsibility. Just that everything company owned needs to be returned. Can they recover costs from me for having the car collected?

The company seem to have been reasonable in paying for the return train ticket.
    I don't understand why this needs an overnight stay.  Why can't you drive up, drop the car off, then get the train back all in one day?  (You won't be driving the return journey so can rest.)
    I'd suggest doing this on whatever your last working day is with the company.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February at 3:56PM
    Options
    Sorry OP but I think it is you that is being unreasonable. I think their offer to pay for the cost of a return train ticket is more than fair. Certainly more than I've ever been offered returning a company vehicle.

As above, I'm also not sure why this needs to be turned into a multiple day ordeal. Reading between the lines, I suspect you are leaving the company on bad terms.
    Aside from the glaring contradiction of "Nothing in my contract states that I have this responsibility. Just that everything company owned needs to be returned.", I don't really understand your counter-argument.
    Know what you don't
  • mr_stripey
    mr_stripey Posts: 665 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Another vote for taking it back on your final, or penultimate day if you wish to overnight it. Drive to the office, hand over the car, say cheerio to colleagues etc and train it back.

Simple and reasonable

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    I assume other equipment like laptops etc need to be returned as well.

I'd do it the day before my final day if I could, travel up in the morning, hand everything back and then travel home on the train. Having handed everything back the last day is a breeze then.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,697 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

You don't think you might just be making a mountain out of a molehill....?

'Finding a way back' isn't usually that big a deal where an office location is concerned. Drive the car up there starting as early as possible, then take up the company (very decent) offer of a train ticket home the same day.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,497 Forumite
    Options
    And don't forget the BIK for a company car is based on when it was available, not when it was actually used so each day you haven't returned it is likely to be racking up increased BIK.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Either go up in the morning and then come back on the train in the evening. 

If you want to stay overnight then come up in the evening, stay the night, go into the office on your last day to say your goodbyes/give other kit back and then get the train home in the late afternoon. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback