Bread machine recommendations please

Options
My old bread machine is no longer performing. It sounds like mice being tortured (not good in an open plan home) and sometimes leaves black marks in the dough. I have being trying to find a twin paddle machine as I like to bake a decent sized loaf. I did get a single paddle machine on Freecycle but it made a very deep, square loaf, so you got large slices when I want more slices. Google has not been helpful, the only suitable looking machine turned out to be over £800!!! Any suggestions please? TIA

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Kitchenaide or other stand mixer plus oven... 1,000% better than any bread machine by a long shot. 
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    We have a Sage custom loaf and it's the best breadmaker I've had, not twin paddle (didn't know that was a thing) but does make a more loaf shape.
    I always make a 1kg loaf and the slices are big, but we simply make a large sandwich and split it rather than 2 smaller ones.
    The dough programs are handy, I mostly make pizza dough, naan and focaccia/flatbread to cook on the BBQ
    It is big, we have a customer shelf for it, but it's heavy to move around, but anything that makes a longer loaf is likely to be larger..
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 February at 5:49PM
    Options
    Kitchenaide or other stand mixer plus oven... 1,000% better than any bread machine by a long shot. 
    Couldn’t agree more x never understood the concept of a bread maker when we have ovens. My friend has one and I laugh every time I see her loaves with the paddle hole in the bottom and always think it’s never as nice as my oven baked loaves of various shapes instead of bread maker shape. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I do rather like to wake up to fresh bread in the morning so like a machine
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 27 February at 7:57PM
    Options
    JuzaMum said:
    Parbake it the night before, stick it in the oven with a timer. Still wake up to a fresh loaf 

There is a simplicity to the one button make of a bread machine but for me at least the difference in outcome is sufficient to justify the slightly more effort required by not using a bread machine

My personal preference, after first prove knock it back, shape it, stick it in the fridge overnight. Wake up an hr early, stick it in the oven, have another 45 minutes kip, get back up to even better tasting bread. Slow rise has so much more flavour and impossible to do with a bread machine 
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JuzaMum said:
    Parbake it the night before, stick it in the oven with a timer. Still wake up to a fresh loaf 

There is a simplicity to the one button make of a bread machine but for me at least the difference in outcome is sufficient to justify the slightly more effort required by not using a bread machine

My personal preference, after first prove knock it back, shape it, stick it in the fridge overnight. Wake up an hr early, stick it in the oven, have another 45 minutes kip, get back up to even better tasting bread. Slow rise has so much more flavour and impossible to do with a bread machine 
    I shall give it a try
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure