£1.75 flat fares for London buses that cross into the Home Counties

Options
nottsphil
nottsphil Posts: 438 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 26 February at 1:50AM in Public transport & cycling
I can't find anything about this on the tfl site. I want to go from Zone 3 to the most northwesterly part of Borehamwood (Rossington Avenue), which is maybe a mile inside Hertfordshire. As I'll be tapping on via debit card, I can't see how the system would know you've crossed the boundary as you don't tap off. But what about the return journey, which will be on a different day and at peak time, if that's relevant? Will I be charge a provincial £2 fare to the boundary then another £1.75 for the rest of the journey?

Comments

• amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It depends whether it’s just one bus or if you’re changing. If it’s just one bus then it should just be £1.75 in each direction, assuming it’s a TfL bus.
  • nottsphil
    nottsphil Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It depends whether it’s just one bus or if you’re changing. If it’s just one bus then it should just be £1.75 in each direction, assuming it’s a TfL bus.
    Actually the number of changes is pretty much irrelevant - the fare is entirely dependent on the time gap between touching on in your first and last buses. At least it is for journeys wholly within London.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nottsphil said:
    Actually the number of changes is pretty much irrelevant - the fare is entirely dependent on the time gap between touching on in your first and last buses. At least it is for journeys wholly within London.
    I thought the question was about going out of London into the Home Counties? In which case, if one if the buses wasn’t TfL the hopper fare wouldn’t apply.
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,184 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    edited 26 February at 10:23AM
    Options
    TfL buses all operate on the standard TfL fares system for the full length of their routes, regardless of whether or not they cross the Greater London boundary.
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    292 is a TFL bus service so will be £1.75... you wouldn't pay anything on your second bus if you tap in within an hour of tapping into the 292 (likewise any subsequent)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback