Where to find coffee whitener

Options
Hey all, coffee whitener has literally disappeared from the shelves? First question is why? 
I used to buy Sainsburys light coffee whitener and now I can not find any alternatives. Does anyone know any online/store retailer that sell coffee whitener (light/low calorie?) 

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Adly812 said:
    Hey all, coffee whitener has literally disappeared from the shelves? First question is why? 
    I used to buy Sainsburys light coffee whitener and now I can not find any alternatives. Does anyone know any online/store retailer that sell coffee whitener (light/low calorie?) 
    Amazon has coffee mate Light, but it's £8.99 a jar Coffee Mate Fat Free 453g https://amzn.eu/d/09WW8aL

Why not just use milk?
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Asda link is out of stock as they don’t sell it anymore. I don’t get on with milk, otherwise I would use it lol. 

The coffee mate is an option, although I can’t find any light ones and wow the price of nestle coffee mate is insanely expensive.

i have no clue why they have stopped selling coffee whitener, it’s been around for about £2 a jar (500g) for over a decade,
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 February at 8:50PM
    Options
    The thing is, the light coffee mate calls itself low-fat, which doesn’t tell you how much sugar is in it. 
    It might be worth comparing the ingredients with the low-fat version and the normal version which they sell in Iceland and see how much difference there actually is.

ETA, calorie wise, there’s nothing to choose between them so you might as well buy the original version. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find Home Bargains whitener is as good as coffee mate and a lot cheaper
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Home Bargains have just got some of theirs in stock I got a couple the other day also Farm Foods usually have a deal on 2 jars of Coffee Mate.
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    Adly812 said:
     First question is why? 

Here's my guess.  It used to be popular with people who were lactose intolerant or who objected to dairy farming.  In recent years supermarkets have started stocking lactose-free dairy milk, which caters for those with lactose intolerance.  This lactose-free dairy milk is even available in skimmed form in some stores.  For those who want to avoid dairy altogether there is soya, almond and oat milk.  That doesn't leave many consumers who want whitener - perhaps those who would not want a whole litre of milk, or those who don't have a refrigerator.

• Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Adly812 said:
     First question is why? 

Here's my guess.  It used to be popular with people who were lactose intolerant or who objected to dairy farming.  In recent years supermarkets have started stocking lactose-free dairy milk, which caters for those with lactose intolerance.  This lactose-free dairy milk is even available in skimmed form in some stores.  For those who want to avoid dairy altogether there is soya, almond and oat milk.  That doesn't leave many consumers who want whitener - perhaps those who would not want a whole litre of milk, or those who don't have a refrigerator.

Much of the reason I choose it, is because I don’t like cold liquid (milk)  in my coffee . I like the powder- for its texture and taste and it doesn’t cool down my coffee. 
    I notice that all the coffee whitener gets sold out quickly when it does come in stock too, so I can’t be the only one who likes it 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Adly812 said:
    Adly812 said:
     First question is why? 

Much of the reason I choose it, is because I don’t like cold liquid (milk)  in my coffee . I like the powder- for its texture and taste and it doesn’t cool down my coffee. 
    I notice that all the coffee whitener gets sold out quickly when it does come in stock too, so I can’t be the only one who likes it 
    You know it's really bad for you health wise though, don't you. Ultra processed, pretty high in sugar... First ingredient in both the light and full fat is glucose syrup.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I find Home Bargains whitener is as good as coffee mate and a lot cheaper
    Emmia said:
    You know it's really bad for you health wise though, don't you. Ultra processed, pretty high in sugar... First ingredient in both the light and full fat is glucose syrup.
    The Cafe Classic brand sold in Home Bargains is even worse than Coffee Mate, as it uses hydrogenated oil.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback