BW Legal for Thames Water

Options

I received an email from BW Legal on Saturday asking for money for a Thames Water bill for £987.72.  I've looked into it and it seems that a new account was created in my name from Oct 2019 until Jan 2021. However, I know this is incorrect, as I left the UK for the EU in May 2018, closed and paid in full all my debts, and redirected my mail for a period of 18 months, yet received no information of a new contract from Thames Water.  I think my information has come from the electoral register, as I'm a registered overseas voter.

I’m about to send a modified prove it letter, but as I live outside the UK, I’m wondering if it’s worth the hassle.  Particularly as I’m not a resident they’d be wasting their time taking me to court.

Should I proceed in a different way?  I certainly want to nip this in the bud.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    might be worthwhile sending them a "prove it" letter.  essentially ask them to prove that it was you that signed up with Thames Water.  

Assuming this isn't a scam.....how would BW Legal get your email address?  If Thames has never contacted you about owing anything and if they had your email they would have tried this route no doubt.  So when you write you might want to ask this question as well.  And write to them using an email address off their website not by replying to the one they've written to you.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I generally say not to act on an email but wait for a letter.

But in your case if you have investigated this and found that a fraudulent account has been created in your name for a period that you were not in the UK, then I think I would contact Thames and tell them that. Best by letter.

It's not that they can do anything to you but it would be something to refer back to if it ever blew up
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback