MSE Poll: How much do you typically spend on birthdays each year?

Options
MSE_Molly_G
MSE_Molly_G Posts: 85 MSE Staff
First Post Name Dropper
edited 20 February at 1:05PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 20 February 2024

In honour of MSE's 21st birthday this week (yippee!), we're updating our Birthday freebies guide – a round-up of the best goodies you can claim on your birthday. While there are tons of free and cheap ways to treat yourself and others, the cost of birthdays can still add up. It leaves us wondering, how much do you spend on birthdays each year?

Click here to vote in the poll

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• ruth56_2
    ruth56_2 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The poll results could be quite misleading...as a pensioner, I have far fewer people I buy presents for than when I was a young mum with three children, lots of birthday parties etc to buy for. Sort of depends on the demographics of each individual?  Fun though to count up how much I spend annually...or maybe scarey😂
  • Angelfeathers
    Angelfeathers Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ruth56_2 said:
    The poll results could be quite misleading...as a pensioner, I have far fewer people I buy presents for than when I was a young mum with three children, lots of birthday parties etc to buy for. Sort of depends on the demographics of each individual?  Fun though to count up how much I spend annually...or maybe scarey😂

I agree - it would have been far more useful/interesting to ask your average spend per birthday!  Presumably the people spending thousands per year are buying for a lot of people.  I'm only buying for three, so have a budget of just under £100.  There's no meaningful comparison if you don't know how many people everyone's buying for!
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Looking at the poll I am not sure it will generate any particularly useful data for the reasons pointed out above. I easily spend over £1k and I do not even have any kids or a partner, but I do have family who I can afford to treat, as well as friends. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback