Additional charges of filling private dentist

Options
financehelp23
financehelp23 Posts: 28 Forumite
First Post
edited 20 February at 1:55AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
H, I need to fill 5 teeth in 3 appointments. But my dentist recently increased the price without notifying me. My first treatment plan on Sep 23 was a flat filling fee of £130 for each teeth. I was too busy and did not do it. They only told me when I got there, that my plan had been changed to £150 per tooth and Local Anesthesia £20 and Rubber Dam £15 additional for each appointment. I have never had these additional charges for simple fillings with other private dentists. The total plan increased £200 plus. Is that right for Dentists to charge Local Anesthesia and Rubber Dam for fillings? Also why they did not tell me when I paid a deposit on the phone, only gave me a new price plan when I went there, has no choice but to go ahead with the treatment? ( I travelled far and took the day off from work). This Dentist practice has many positive reviews... 

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Any quote for any service is likely to be altered if a customer doesn't take it up immediately. They may well have had a price rise in that time, they seem to have had a price restructuring too. Personally I'd find it quite fiddly if I structured my prices with lots of little 'extras' - I wouldn't want my practice to have the feel of a Ryanair flight - but they do have the right to charge things as they feel works best for them. 

Doesn't sound ideal that you were only told about this once you had got there, but If I'd taken up a service 3 - 4 months after a quote had been given, I personally would have asked if the price I'd been given was still correct. That would be a legitimate thing to 'feed back' to the practice though if they hadn't told you. 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • financehelp23
    financehelp23 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 20 February at 1:52PM
    Options
    Any quote for any service is likely to be altered if a customer doesn't take it up immediately. They may well have had a price rise in that time, they seem to have had a price restructuring too. Personally I'd find it quite fiddly if I structured my prices with lots of little 'extras' - I wouldn't want my practice to have the feel of a Ryanair flight - but they do have the right to charge things as they feel works best for them. 

Doesn't sound ideal that you were only told about this once you had got there, but If I'd taken up a service 3 - 4 months after a quote had been given, I personally would have asked if the price I'd been given was still correct. That would be a legitimate thing to 'feed back' to the practice though if they hadn't told you. 
    Thanks, this is very helpful. We did ask for sending the original treatment plan a few weeks ago but they did not mention price increase either when they took the deposit. I just wonder if it is normal for a private Dentist to change the treatment plan price if you are in the treatment process. For example, if you have 5 tooth fillings, take 3-5 months for 3 appointments. Can they increase the price in the 2nd or last appointment filling? I have spoken with some other practice and no one charges Local Anesthesia and Rubber Dam for fillings. The Dentist told me they increased the filling price (£20 per tooth) plus these extras (£35 per appointment) since January after I complained. No one questioned anything and insurance seems included these in filling payment.  But I still feel wired to charge for Local Anesthesia and Rubber Dam for every fillings appointment..
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't say that itemising things that are part of the routine is a 'normal' way that dentists practice - but a private dental practice is a private business and is free to set it's prices and it's charging structure exactly how it wants to. The thing that regulates it is 'the market'. If too many people are peed off by such a structure and by them frequently changing prices throughout a treatment plan - then they are going to get a lot of patients either complaining or going elsewhere (Which is a whole lot easier if your looking for a private dental practice than it is if you're looking for an NHS one.

I think you're quite entitled to question such a structure and complain about no being told if prices are put up during a treatment plan.

Having said that - I also think 3-5 months to get through a treatment plan of 5 filling is quite a long time to string it out (if that's you stringing it out over that time and not them) So if it does go on for that long, then it might well hit one practice price rise which they might feel is appropriate to pass on to you if you have taken a long time to get through it.

I would also count it as you 'stringing it out' if your requirements for an appointment time were very narrow. I find it a right pain in the bottom if I get a patient who 'can only come on a Friday afternoon after 3:30 - especially if they are then cancelling appointments because 'something has come up at work'! I still tend not to put up their charges though. They just get a letter saying I think their needs may be better met elsewhere! 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback