Dentist: New Band 3 course charge for a pre-existing repair failure?

Options
devondiver
devondiver Posts: 299 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 20 February at 10:57AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving

Hi all. For the past 5 months or so I have had a broken 20 year old veneer on an upper front tooth which I have re-cemented myself with superglue every few weeks. My dentist told me some months ago that, on the NHS, he could not replace the veneer but could crown the tooth.

Over the past three weeks I have had three appointments during which, at the last appointment, the broken veneer was re-cemented  with ‘proper’ cement (I presume) as a temporary measure. Leaving the practice slightly dazed, I was charged about £235 and told my next appointment would be in 6 months’ time.

All good(ish) so far – except that the repaired veneer came away again after only 2 days and on immediately contacting the practice it was implied that they would review things at my next appointment – in 6 months’ time. So before I seek clarification on this I’m hoping someone can tell me where I stand on asking the dentist to go ahead and crown this tooth now and include it in the current (or just completed as they might claim) Band 3 treatment for which I have already paid most of the maximum amount.

Before I broach the subject I am half expecting them to say they have no appointments available for months now and so I must pay a new Band 3 amount in a few months’ time. Can this be fair? And what can I do?

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a self-satisfied pessimist

Comments

• Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 877 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a bit confused. What did you pay £235 for? Was it for the crown, even though they are not doing it for 6 months, or for gluing back the veneer? If the latter, surely you must have had more done than that.
  • devondiver
    edited 20 February at 12:03PM
    Options
    Yes, I did have other unconnected work done (crown and filling) but I felt that was not relevant to my question. But thanks for the reply.

BTW - I have now emailed the practice to say I would like to have this tooth crowned asap within my present Band 3 treatment programme. We'll see what they say.

Practise replied: as expected - they say the present course is closed and have made me an appointment for 3 months time. Seems like not much I can do.
  • mda99das
    mda99das Posts: 171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You wouldn't go to Tesco's and say I bought eggs from you last month I need some more but don't want to pay for it. 
  • devondiver
    Options
    Very true. But if you bought eggs from Waitrose yesterday and today they were rotten you would not be best pleased.
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The treatment you had is relevant as that explains the costs you paid. The other crown you had makes it a band 3 course of treatment
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback