Handing in notice

Options
I have to hand in my written notice. I'm not 100% sure on what my notice period is. It maybe a month in the contract. That they actually never got me to sign. I think people have left sooner. Do I need to write on my notice letter when my last day of employment will be? 
Thank yiu

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 February at 10:17PM
    Options
    You don’t have to sign a contract to be for it to be valid, but either way you still need to know when your last day of work is going to be. Have you considered asking your manager? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Pineapple88
    Pineapple88 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February at 12:05PM
    Options
    Ask HR if you don’t feel comfortable asking your manager. 

If you don’t feel comfortable asking anyone then I would include statutory notice in my resignation letter (you can find out on ACAS or Gov.uk) and let them tell you if you need to give more. It’s usual to include your last date of work in your notice letter but you can also say something like “unless we agree a different date” and that way you can try and negotiate a shorter notice period. 
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 February at 11:54AM
    Options

If you don’t feel comfortable asking anyone then I would include statutory notice in my resignation letter (you can find out on ACAS or Gov.uk) and let them tell you if you need to give more. It’s usual to include your last date of work in your notice letter but you can also say something like “unless we agree a different date” and that way you can try and negotiate a shorter notice period. 
    Statutory notice would be one week as, without a contract for longer, it never increases beyond one week.
    However, because it appears there could be a contract in place for longer, the OP needs to look at the contract or obtain a copy from the employer (whoever would have issued it) if they can't locate it.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Statutory notice would be one week as, without a contract for longer, it never increases beyond one week.
    However, because it appears there could be a contract in place for longer, the OP needs to look at the contract or obtain a copy from the employer (whoever would have issued it) if they can't locate it.
    Indeed but this is "contract" in the widest sense as it can include any verbal or written agreement, such as the job advert, emails, letters, staff handbook and even notices on the tea room wall!

As GG says, statutory notice to be given by the employee in the absence of any other agreement never increases above a week (and is zero with less than a month's employment). Notice to be given by the employer however increases year by year to a maximum of 12 weeks (or more if the contract so specifies).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback