Free NHS eye test for Apprentices

Options
I was baffled today after learning that apprentices are not entitled to an NHS free eye test.   These are people aged 16-19 and can be on as little as £5.28 and hour whilst still studying for a qualification but unlike their cohort which could be in sixth form and maybe have a weekend job coming out with more than they earn for a full week, I was told today my 17 year old daughter was not eligible under NHS guidelines for a free eye test.  

I was told by specsavers today that it is because they are classed as working full time!! Even though their take home wage is far less than that of the low income wage which would be eligible.  It doesn’t seem to make any sense. 

There is such contradictory information online for this as I did search before I went to the opticians (see below) 

I wonder why this is?

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the apprentice was on an income so low that they needed to claim specific income-related benefits then I believe they would be able to get a free eye test on the NHS.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is also help with certain charges, including eye tests, for those on low incomes, even if not on benefits - I think it’s form HC1. Also, I think if the apprenticeship/job involves working with computers, the employer should provide regular eye tests.

The NHS doesn’t include apprenticeships in their criteria for automatic free eye tests: https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/opticians/free-nhs-eye-tests-and-optical-vouchers/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback