PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing eggs/Pantry challenge

Options
Good morning everyone.  I froze the last of our eggs before we went away so I didn't waste them. A bit of an experiment for me really, having done left over egg whites before but not whole eggs.  
They were in little Lock and Lock boxes.  

Yesterday I used them in cakes.  I defrosted by leaving in the fridge the night before.  I whizzed them in my blender to homogenise them, as I wanted 4 in one cake and 2 in the other.  Divided the egg into 2 jamjars, but as I got to the bottom of the blender there were some small hardish bits of yolk.  Has anyone done this and had it happen to them? 

So wondering for next time.  Would the egg be OK if put in the freezer ready blended ready to use?  

It was a good for using up.  I usually extend my usual January 'pantry challenge' to the end of February( check out threeriverschallenge) I got the 6 eggs used, a chocolate cake recipe used some left over single cream from the freezer, used buttermilk from the freezer for the other cake as well.  I'm sure if money was tight I wouldn't enjoy using stuff up quite as much, but it's very satisfying to clear things out. 

Also used wine from the freezer (I know, oxymoron 'left over wine'.  More likely to have been not quite good enough to drink and we don't get tempted by white wine in the same way as red) went in the casserole along with celery chopped and frozen in the pre holiday fridge clearance.  
[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
Trying not to waste food!:j
ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The best way to freeze whole eggs is to whip them completely before freezing.

Left over wine is definitely an oxymoron in my life!  Like you we are more tempted by red and white wine but to be honest I wouldn't freeze red wine if it wasn't good enough to drink in the first place.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback