Default from 2016 now dropped off credit report - can I assume now statute barred

Hi all.  I had a default on my credit file from 2016.  I recall last writing to them in 2018 to make an offer and they refused and I have not contacted them since.  This has now dropped off my credit file.  Can I reasonably assume that this is now statute barred? Thank you.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Possibly. But unlikely

The clock starts running when the default notice is not complied with, but can be started by acknowledgement

Acknowledgement can be by payment or in writing, 

I assume you have made no payment but you say that that you wrote and offered payment in 2018. If they have a record of that, and you can assume that they have, then you are looking at whenever the relevant date is during this year.

Unless you live in Scotland, where the answer is yes
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I would not assume anything just yet, the devil is in the detail, it will depend on what date you wrote to them, but also where in the UK you live.

Keep off the grid for now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bubblemummy
    bubblemummy Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you both for your comments.  I am in England.  I am pretty sure it was in the first half of 2018 but couldn't swear to it, and I can't find the letters on my laptop.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback