E-gift card

Options
Hi 
My mother received a Morrisons e-gift card I think because she is a pensioner, the value was £200 
The card was printed onto a piece of paper A4 size and has a barcode on one side and on the reverse some t&c’s which number 8 states that the card is valid for 24 months after initial activation, now the card was activated in January 2023 but unused until January 2024 , £75 pounds has been used , the last transaction was on the 14/02/24 
When the card was tried on the 15/02/24 it was rejected as expired. 
I have contacted Morrisons and they opened a case review, they came back with the information that it is in fact a card with only 12 months validity and they said case is closed. 
Not being happy with this I pointed out the fact that on the reverse it said 24 months validity after activation, they replied by opening the case again. 
They have now come back and said that the t&c on the reverse side are wrong and the card has expired and case closed. 
I have replied by saying the card was used using the t&c on the back. 
Any thoughts on this and is there anything that can be done. 
Thanks 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,038 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Complain as high up in the organisation you can complete with sob story about hard done by senior who was counting on this for a special celebration or similar.  

It strikes me that they must be getting their facts wrong.  If the card was activated in Jan 23 and only valid for 12 months no one would have been able to use it on 14/2/24.  That's 13 months.

Also there's something in consumer law about if terms are confusing or contradictory then the terms that favour the consumer must be honoured.  The fact that the T&Cs on the voucher state 24 months mean that they should honour it for 24 months even if that contradicts what other T&Cs they usually adhere to.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     I also would complain high up by googling CEO Morrisons and finding the email address 
  • anyhelpwilldo
    Options
    Brie said:
    Complain as high up in the organisation you can complete with sob story about hard done by senior who was counting on this for a special celebration or similar.  

It strikes me that they must be getting their facts wrong.  If the card was activated in Jan 23 and only valid for 12 months no one would have been able to use it on 14/2/24.  That's 13 months.

Also there's something in consumer law about if terms are confusing or contradictory then the terms that favour the consumer must be honoured.  The fact that the T&Cs on the voucher state 24 months mean that they should honour it for 24 months even if that contradicts what other T&Cs they usually adhere to.
    Thanks for the reply 
    Yes it seems like they are trying to fob us off , not sure if the complaints is just some kind of automated response 
  • anyhelpwilldo
    Options
    Hi 
    just a little update, received another email saying that the issuer of the e-gift card is at fault for sending out the card with the incorrect t&c’s and I should take it up with them. 
    I pointed out that the issuer does not make up t&c’s for supermarkets , so they have reopened the case , seems like just going round in circles, I also asked them to give me an email address of a senior manager so we will see how that goes. 
    Will keep updating. 
  • anyhelpwilldo
    anyhelpwilldo Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi update 
    Finally a month later , after forward and back with emails to Morrisons ( seemed like they only responded when I commented on a post on ‘X’)
    they phoned me up and I spoke with the head of customer service and she apologised , within an hour they sent me a new e-gift card for the remaining balance of the one they deactivated.
    Thanks to those who commented on this post. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback