Overdraft and dmp question

Options
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with an overdraft/current account going into default 

I stopped using my black horse bank account last May. I have a maxed out overdraft on that account and also two CCs with the same bank . The two CCs have just today shown as defaults.

I'm just wondering if I should start the dmp with the cards or should I wait fir them to default the o/d too. I'm not sure if the different bank departments liase with one another, and if they do, what effect making payments to the CCs now would have on pushing them to default the O/D too.

Sorry ...thsts a very jumbled explanation. Hope someone can work out what I'm asking lol 

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I think I'd start the plan with the two credit cards.

It may be worth asking if they will terminate the current account as that situation could go on for ages.
  • lillypoo
    lillypoo Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks @fatbelly. They haven't sent any info since the default notice. I'm going to dawdle a little bit, see if they hand the defaulted CCs to someone else to manage etc. But yes I might write to them about the current account. Thanks again 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,917 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bank accounts do not have to have payments made by a certain date each month, they are repayable on demand.

So they can stay open gathering default interest, for a long time before the bank decides to take action to close it.

Your plan to write and advise the bank of your circumstances should see them close your account for good.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • lillypoo
    Options
    Thanks sourcrates. They actually stopped interest back in June which was terribly decent of the old chaps! I didn't even ask!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    So if there's no money going in and no interest being charged it could stay that way for a long time. In some circumstances that would be a good thing. But if you want to get all the negative stuff on your credit file now so that it all drops off in 6 years you are going to have to nag them to close the account.

They may struggle to get the point
  • lillypoo
    Options
    Oh I can nag till the cows come home lol. Ask my ex :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback