Job offer

How long realistically do you have to think about a job offer?

Comments

• On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depends on the area of employment, and how valuable / short supply your skills are.
    When my partner was teaching you had a few hours before they offered to next candidate.
    but I could proably string a prospective employer along for a month...
    Realistically you have a few days to a week, more if you're communicating and saying that you're exploring some counter offers.  maybe they'll make you a better salary offer if you play hard to get?  or maybe they'll move on to next candidate.  No-one knows (although there may be guidlines in the public sector that I'm unaware of)
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Matt_22 said:
    How long realistically do you have to think about a job offer?

How long do you want? Is there a reason you need more time (like the outcome of another application)?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The last job I applied for, I didn't get because when they said "if we offered, would you accept?" I said I'd need a little time to think it over. If their first choice had turned it down, they'd have offered it to me. 

Once offered, I've always asked for time to think it over, at least overnight, even if I didn't have anything else in the pipeline. 

But context is everything: some jobs offer on the day and expect a straight answer. Others may be so desperate to have you that they'll let you dither. Usually it's somewhere in between. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would say a few days max.
    If it was a friday you might have the weekend to think about it.

If you need a long time to think about it the employer is entitled to think something is wrong.
    If you genuinely have circs that mean your not able to make a decision then it's a bit unfair to expect the employer to wait.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Really depends on the grade of the role, the urgency of it etc. 

In most cases a couple of days tops, its very possible they have found two candidates they'd be happy working with and will want to be able to offer it to the second one if you turn it down which means they cannot wait forever otherwise the other candidate may have found something else and/or realised they aren't first choice. 
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've always asked for the offer to be confirmed in writing together with their standard contract. I think it depends on the level of job you are going for, however mine have usually involved shares and then negotiation over holiday / flexi etc and so I like to have in writing what exactly is being offered as over the phone you (or !) can forget things.  I say once I've received the written offer I'll look it over and get any queries back to them within 48 hours.  It's never been a problem for me, but again it depends on the job etc.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    At my current job I was offered it on the spot, which is really unusual for the type of role and it being done via an agency - usually you hear back from the recruiter. I liked the job and the people, but had another interview later that week, so I thanked them for the offer and said that I would like to accept, subject to the contract terms and formal offer. That gives you an out later if you want (you can reject the term, hours, benefits package etc). 
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    bargainbetty said:
    I would like to accept, subject to the contract terms and formal offer. That gives you an out later if you want (you can reject the term, hours, benefits package etc). 
    Personally wouldnt mess them about like this, you may find the terms are exceptional, hours fully flexible, benefits world leading etc and then just because the other job is more interesting you start having to say you won't accept the job because 40 days + bank holidays isn't enough holiday for you. Then gets more silly when they offer to increase it to 45 days.

Just be honest, you have another interview, you are keen on the role with them but you want the opportunity to find out more about the other role first. 
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,314 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 February at 2:39PM
    I always just accept it when they call if I am happy and then ask they I have the contract before I give in my notice. Then I review the contract and can have time negotiating or querying anything.
    If I then change my mind I can refuse to sign and withdraw my acceptance. Only did this once once I saw the contract.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback