How to find a good GP?

Options
regency_man
regency_man Posts: 274 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 February at 11:33AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I spent most of my life living close to my parents so was still being seen by our 'family' doctor who was a bloody nice chap and always gave me excellent care.  Since I've moved away from the area and now signed up with the local GP practice, I was assigned a GP at random and I am absolutely dumbfounded how appaling it is.

We had a 10 minute appointment, the GP didn't even acknowlege me when I walked in, I still don't know her name because after I left I realised she never introduced herself.  Her opening line was "We've only got 10 minutes so choose what you want to talk about carefully".  We were 4 minutes in to the session before she even pulled up my medical records, after I said this was an ongoing condition.  Only then she noticed I was a new patient and then started grumbling about not being able to access my previous documents because their system was crap and started furiously clicking around on her computer, this took up another 3 minutes during which time she completely ignored me.  When I had finally finished describing my symptoms she said there was no where near enough time left to do anything about it in this appointment, so she took my blood pressure, pulse and sats and told me I'd have to make another appointment, the earliest available was in 3 weeks time.

This isn't a post to critisise the NHS or comment on doctors in general (and yes, I accept, she may have just been having a bad day) but I don't want to see her again.  What are my rights when it comes to requesting a specific doctor and how do you go about finding a good one, is it just trial and error?  All advice appreciated.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any reason this is in Consumer Rights?
  • regency_man
    Options
    BoGoF said:

Because there isn't a Citizen Rights section!  I looked through all the forums and this seemed the most applicable.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe she was just having a bad day? I don't think you have a right to get a GP you like....
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you even sure it was "your GP"? For at least 15 years across 5 different GP practices (we move a fair bit) there has been no concept of you having a single GP that you see each time but you see whichever GP (or Nurse Practitioner) that happens to have the next available slot.  As a consequence you see some that are good, some that are less good. You can ask to see Dr X specifically but doing that may move the next available appoint from next week to a month out. 

What a good GP is can vary between patients... my wife likes one of ours because you tell them you think you have A and think you need a prescription for B and a lot of the time thats what you walk out with. Personally I prefer a different one which can be a bit curt but rather than just give you a prescription for B they send you for a barrage of tests to ensure it really is A. Others like a third doctor who totally ignores the clock and is happy chatting for 30 minutes about your new kitchen but is frequently running 1-2hr+ late. 

Personally just keep a list of the ones I don't like and ask to see someone else if they suggest one them. Our practice is in a group of local practices now and there is a big movement of docs and locums so always new names being put forward. 

Not sure I miss my childhood where we had the "family doctor" for 15+ years... sure he went out his way to help with one thing, which is why we stayed, but wasn't exactly the most dynamic or quick doctor and before I moved away he went to semi-retired and only worked 2 days a week making appointments many weeks out. 

Most the time I think I prefer being seen quickly and with us now having something like 8 local practices each with 5+ doctors and practice nurses each its rare you have to go longer than a week for a non-emergency appointment if you are flexible. 
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,846 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 February at 4:29PM
    Options
    BoGoF said:
    Perhaps because the OP couldn't find any NHS-related forums here.

That is because we are not encouraged to discuss health issues.
    The last thread I could find similar to this one was in 2016 and was closed down the same day.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5446347/nhs-gp-doctor-surgery-advice?utm_source=community-search&utm_medium=organic-search&utm_term=nhs+gp

Other websites are available.
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BoGoF said:

Because there isn't a Citizen Rights section!  I looked through all the forums and this seemed the most applicable.
    Yes.  It's very difficult to find the correct boards since the last update.

I think the most appropriate board is here:  Health & beauty MoneySaving — MoneySavingExpert Forum.  You'll see that it contains a lot of GP and NHS related questions.

I'm afraid your experience of a GP is likely to be quite typical and not unusual.

You could try contacting your local NHS clinical commissioning group for guidance as to what your rights are in respect of choosing a GP.  (I suspect you don't have many...)

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 February at 4:35PM
    Options
     Shows lists of GP in your catchment snd has reviews based on patient questionnaires snd inspection results 

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-gp

https://www.cqc.org.uk/care-services/find-family-doctor-or-gp
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    Given this is a chronic condition, it could well be you have a better experience with a nurse (who can get prescriptions issued/arrange a GP appointment if you need to see a Dr). IME, they often have more time and a better bedside manner ;) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    In the days before the pandemic we had 4 or 5 doctors and I visited each on, learned their strengths so I knew who to go to for what.
    Ie one excellent for one off need an answer now, one good for emotional stuff and one through on investigation.
    Ditto with the nurses.

The one I'm registered with I didn't get on with. I just asked for someone else next time.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• regency_man
    Options
    DullGreyGuy said:
    What a good GP is can vary between patients... my wife likes one of ours because you tell them you think you have A and think you need a prescription for B and a lot of the time thats what you walk out with. Personally I prefer a different one which can be a bit curt but rather than just give you a prescription for B they send you for a barrage of tests to ensure it really is A. Others like a third doctor who totally ignores the clock and is happy chatting for 30 minutes about your new kitchen but is frequently running 1-2hr+ late.
    Well our family doctor was definitely more of the third type, you never got into his office sooner than 30 minutes after your appointment time, though I'm not sure this is my preffered 'type' either.  I'm little more like your wife, if I'm going to the doctor I've already exhuasted everything available on NHS online and made absolutely sure it's not just some over-the-counter medicine I need. 
    All I really want is a doctor who is interested in furthering the process of your diagnosis or treatment, even if that means taking up a few extra minutes, rather than ending an appointment just because the alloted time is up.
    I took a morning off work and drove a 50 minute round trip, for absolutely nothing.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback