Probation Period & Accrued Holidays

RKO1
RKO1 Posts: 22
First Post
Forumite
Hi,
I began my new job at the beginning of January with a holiday allowance of 25 days plus 8 bank holidays. I'm currently in my three-month probationary period and have decided to resign, giving one week's notice. My last day of work will be at the end of March. Although I haven't taken any holidays yet, I have accrued them since joining and I won't be using any holidays until I leave. 

Can I still receive holiday pay for the accrued holidays during my probation period?

How many holidays would I have earned by now? So I can mention this in my resignation/ notice letter.

Thanks

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,468
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Would need to know the exact day you started and whether or not your working week is 5 days, but you are looking at about 6 days..

Your employer can make you take your leave before your last working day 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 257
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    i agree with what @lincroft1710 says
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,825
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The reason for the questions: was your start date 1st January? If so, that's a Bank Holiday to be deducted from your leave allowance. What's your end date? 29th March is Good Friday, another BH. 

They do have to either pay you or allow you to take the leave you have accrued in this period. And it's an excellent idea to know what your entitlement is. Does work provide you with an online system for requesting leave? that might help you work it out (by showing what BHs have been allocated to you, if nothing else!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • RKO1
    First Post
    Forumite
    Would need to know the exact day you started and whether or not your working week is 5 days, but you are looking at about 6 days..

Your employer can make you take your leave before your last working day 
    Start date. 8th January.

I work 5 days
  • RKO1
    First Post
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue said:
    The reason for the questions: was your start date 1st January? If so, that's a Bank Holiday to be deducted from your leave allowance. What's your end date? 29th March is Good Friday, another BH. 

They do have to either pay you or allow you to take the leave you have accrued in this period. And it's an excellent idea to know what your entitlement is. Does work provide you with an online system for requesting leave? that might help you work it out (by showing what BHs have been allocated to you, if nothing else!)
    8th January was my start date
  • RKO1
    First Post
    Forumite
    RKO1 said:
    Savvy_Sue said:

8th January was my start date and I work full time (5 days a week)

• Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    RKO1 said:
    Savvy_Sue said:

So what date are you giving your notice to? Bearing in mind 29th March is a BH, and presumably not one of your working days (although if you don't work M-F then it may not be!)
  • RKO1
    First Post
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue said:
    RKO1 said:
    Savvy_Sue said:

So what date are you giving your notice to? Bearing in mind 29th March is a BH, and presumably not one of your working days (although if you don't work M-F then it may not be!)
    I'm thinking of giving my one week notice 18th March
  • Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    I think you need to give it the (Fri)day before, because I believe notice starts the day after you give it. So if you want to finish on Friday 22nd ... 

I think to get a rough estimate of your entitlement: 

Divide your entitlement by 52
    Multiply that by the no. of weeks you will have worked

Note that they can make an exact calculation, or round up: they can't round down. 

I usually say something like "I believe I am entitled to 5 days leave, for which I would prefer to be paid at the end of my employment. Please let me know if your records show otherwise." Then they can reply saying no, it's actually 4.5 days, and we want you to leave right away so we're not paying for it after you've left. Or whatever. 

Note they may have a different method of calculating your entitlement for a part year, which may be more exact than mine. 

• amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 246
    Forumite
    It might be worth trying to check exactly how your employer will do the calculations - are there any HR policies around annual leave and bank holidays that might explain how these are calculated if a member of staff leaves?

Sometimes you can be better off taking the annual leave after your last working day, rather than being paid for untaken leave, because you can accrue more per rata’d leave while on leave, plus bank holidays (which aren’t necessarily pro rata’d). Eg in your situation, if you’re giving a week’s notice on 18th then presumably your last day is 25th. So that’s 78/366=21.3% of the year, which comes to 5.3 days annual leave. But if you were to have 4th April as your last day, that would be 88/366=24% of the year, which comes to 6 days annual leave, and you’d also benefit from the 2 bank holidays. So rather than 5 days holiday pay, it would be 8, without any difference in the days you’d actually work. But strong caveat - this is how my employer does the calculation, yours might be completely different!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback