Sunsynk hybrid inverters

Options
I'm considering a Sunsynk inverter to go with my solar/battery installation, as they have islanding capability. Has anyone got any experience of them? How easily do they interact with other makes of battery and with Octopus TOU tariffs? They don't appear to be on the Octopus approved list, yet.

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You might already know this, but both @Bianchiintenso and @orbit500 have Sunsynk hybrids.
    Also @DN8 has a Sunsynk inverter with batteries, but SFAICT hasn't explicitly stated that it's hybrid (or not).
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Bianchiintenso
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but Sunsynk hybrids have the API to connect to Octopus Agile & Flux to buy electricity at cheap rates and even sell back to the national grid at high rates through SEG payments. I have sunsyk battery and hybrid inverter, but from all I've read no problems with other storage makes. Re the islanding capability. I've never really got to the bottom of this, one day I'll make the effort to find out how it works for sure, but not as simple as expecting it to 'just' work during a power cut for example, if you ever figure it out let me know ;)  :)
    "All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"

8kWh Canadian Solar Panels, 8.5kWh Hybrid Sunsynk inverter, 10kWh Sunsynk battery, 12kWh Ecodan ASHP
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 February at 8:30PM
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but Sunsynk hybrids have the API to connect to Octopus Agile & Flux to buy electricity at cheap rates and even sell back to the national grid at high rates through SEG payments.

It does help, thanks. I'm already on Agile, although I may move to Go for imports.

I've never really got to the bottom of this, one day I'll make the effort to find out how it works for sure, but not as simple as expecting it to 'just' work during a power cut for example, if you ever figure it out let me know

I can help you with that. You need a contactor in the incoming supply which is activated by a signal wire that activates it when the mains fails. You'll also need to provide a separate earth (spike) as you'll be cut off from the DNO earth. Here is the video on islanding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKncenqqAZc&pp=ygUpc3Vuc3luayA4a3cgaHlicmlkIGludmVydGVyIGluc3RhbGxhdGlvbiA%3D

The presenter is a bit idiosyncratic but I think he knows what he's on about!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback