Is it worth getting 2 extra solar panels?

Options
Currently we have 16 solar panels and a 5kwh battery. We are on Octopus Agile. We have space for two additional panels. We recommended the installer to friends in village and they are going ahead. I contacted the installer as he is in the village on Monday and he quoted £1000 for supply and install. We have been very pleased with the energy generation to date. I guess the extra would be exported back to the grid.

I am wondering if it is worth it. I believe one panel would generate 3 kilowatt a day (in summer).

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The panels cost less than £200, so I imagine a large chunk of the price is scaffolding. As a general rule it is best to put up the maximum number of panels in the original installation, as the "fixed costs" are no higher. I think it would take the life of the panels (25 to 30 years) to get a return on your investment. 
  • thriftytracey
    thriftytracey Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    They dont use scaffolding. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I am wondering if it is worth it. I believe one panel would generate 3 kilowatt a day (in summer).
    Domestic panels are typically about 420 watts, which I guess could produce 3kWh on a perfect summer's day (about 7 O's).
    A 420 watt panel might generate 400kWh per year. 400kWh, exported on Octopus Outgoing Fixed at 15p/kWh, would earn you about £60.
    So you cold be looking at a return of £120 a year for an outlay of £1000.
    But do check exactly what you've been quoted for, what your current annual generation-per-watt is, and your export tariff. if they're 300 watt panels and you're on a tariff that only pays 5pkWh, thet £120 could really be £30.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 February at 1:59PM
    Options
    Currently we have 16 solar panels and a 5kwh battery. We are on Octopus Agile. We have space for two additional panels. We recommended the installer to friends in village and they are going ahead. I contacted the installer as he is in the village on Monday and he quoted £1000 for supply and install.
    Hi Tracey,

I’m pretty sure the installer will negotiate on that price ;) I think £800 is a realistic target & worth an offer. 

What many don’t factor in is the cost of the hardware and optimizer, so a cost of around £3-400 per panel is fair in my view and has been my experience with system expansions. 

I’d recommend switching from Agile to Flux for greater export earnings from your expanded system. 
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • thriftytracey
    thriftytracey Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Currently we have 16 solar panels and a 5kwh battery. We are on Octopus Agile. We have space for two additional panels. We recommended the installer to friends in village and they are going ahead. I contacted the installer as he is in the village on Monday and he quoted £1000 for supply and install.
    Hi Tracey,

I’m pretty sure the installer will negotiate on that price ;) I think £800 is a realistic target & worth an offer. 

What many don’t factor in is the cost of the hardware and optimizer, so a cost of around £3-400 per panel is fair in my view and has been my experience with system expansions. 

I’d recommend switching from Agile to Flux for greater export earnings from your expanded system. 
    They've come down £100.  
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There's still a lot of unknowns here. 

1. what orientation are the new panels? 
    2. as mentioned before are they 400w or less? 
    3. what's you current export tariff? (If you are on FIT then you will need to leave deemed export to get the export benefit of these) 
    4. Can these be wired into the existing inverter or will they need micro-inverters? (Or if a Solar Edge system, optimisers) 

I extended by two panels when I put the battery in but only because that way I could get the VAT back on the battery that way. 
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    3. what's you current export tariff? (If you are on FIT then you will need to leave deemed export to get the export benefit of these)
    OP's panels were installed last year (thread) so no FIT to worry about!

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personal opinion here, but assuming these are 350Wp+ panels (just guessing on the original install being last year), then that's 0.7kWp+ for £900 (now), which isn't actually a bad price.

Cheaper of course to do it all at the same time, and when adding a bit more, will cost proprtionately less (rather than a bit more, like now), but still a decent price for an add-on.

Plus, it'll add a nice boost during the next few months, when gen is low, and you can use the extra. But as QrizB points out, most of the extra gen will be on top, so largely exported, when PV gen is high.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 February at 10:28AM
    Options
    We were able to get the cost of the 410W panels reduced a bit further. I think OP will be pleased with the extra generation. 

That said, the incremental cost for a panel during the first installation ranges from £250-300 (with optimizer). No system expansion cost can ever be that low, given the fixed costs involved, so it always makes sense to maximize South/ West roof aspect panel coverage during the initial quote. 
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leaving all this aside, what is your current export limit? Will the installer go back to DNO for further notification ?
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback