Electoral Role - false address submission

Options
Hello

not quite sure this is correct category……however.

My ex partner and father of my child was ordered to move out of the family home 3 years ago, due to coercive control, domestic abuse. He has not lived at the address for 3 years.

Today, I received the annual Electoral Register Information letter from the local council……and to my surprise his name has reappeared on it. I know for the 2 years previous, when I submitted updates, his name was not included.

i have contacted the local council electoral registration dept immediately this morning, explaining the situation to them, and they have agreed to remove him. They tell me he self registered on the electoral role back at this address in Nov 2023. They have flagged on the system today, that should he try to submit again he will be banned.

My questions to the forum are:
He has clearly submitted false information knowingly - isn’t there a £1000 fine that should be applied to him. He has lived in 2 other addresses since moving out of the family home 3 years ago. 

What affects does this have on my financial affairs, if he has used my address as his on the electoral role falsely.

It feels like an extension of his coercive controlling behaviour, done without my knowledge. He has in the past made from an ex joint account which he no longer payed into, changes to mortgage without my knowledge. I contacted the mortgage company, they are aware, and I closed down the joint bank account. 

This is really affecting me psychologically, that he does these things without my knowledge.

help! 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,684 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If there is a fine that is for the Electoral Commission to decide. I doubt you would be informed if a fine was imposed.

Falsely using your address will not affect your financial affairs
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback