Bankruptcy advice

Options
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have been reading through lots of advice and guidance relating to bankruptcy.  Long story short, I recently filed for bankruptcy as had over £54k of debt that had become unmanageable and causing lots of stress. I spoke to step change and national debt helpline and opted against an IVA and went for bankruptcy. It has all been confirmed and had a letter confirming my car (only asset) would not be of interest. Had a call from Official Receiver who wanted me to clarify a couple of points. One was about some gambling admissions. I stated that I had gambled. She asked what money I used and said it was money from earnings. Gambling was not major and around £100 - £200 per month over the last year. The other question was that I said I had sold an asset. I pawned my watch a few months back and used it to pay of small amounts across multiple debts. After that she confirmed I would receive some forms to sign and that they would be in touch. The call lasted about 2 minutes in total. I have now today received the forms and a letter from the Official Receiver to say they do not need to interview me and have everything they need. I've sent the forms back NTB2, TNIDIS and DPADA.

was that my interview? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I was expecting to have discussions about an IPA as I did have some surplus every month. Will that be done later?  I did read about NT tax codes but not sure if that will apply to me so late in the tax year. 

Any advice on similar experiences would be great. I did try to call them to discuss but said there were lengthy wait times and gave up after nearly 15 mins on hold 

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,911 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, that was your interview, all very quick and streamlined these days for simple bankruptcies.

They have up until your discharge, so 12 months, to ask you to contribute to an IPA, it will depend on your disposable income, and if it goes up or not.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It's a case of waiting to hear from them . Not worth chasing it up.

If they have assessed you as having less than £20 surplus per month you won't get an IPA
  • condore84
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Have received an email from them since I posted and it says "I can confirm that at this current time, the Official Receiver has no further action to be taken on your bankruptcy". I guess I'll just get on with life and wait to see if they request an IPA in the next year
  • condore84
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    It's a case of waiting to hear from them . Not worth chasing it up.

If they have assessed you as having less than £20 surplus per month you won't get an IPA
    Thats what I'm confused about, as I did have surplus on the original documents I submitted, although the surplus is a combination of my income and partners income. As they've said no interview, I wonder how they are able to ascertain what is mine and what is my partners. Could they just contact me to put an IPA in place without discussing with me first?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Sounds like they've recalculated your individual i/e from the joint figures and assessed it as <£20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback