What would you do?

My wife and I work together, based at home, with a company vehicle, she doesnt drive,  we have been with the firm almost 2 years, she has worked with other drivers, but the company decided to place her into my work to save wasted travelling time, etc 

we have discussed me packing in (im almost 70)

I emailed HR asking what fees towards my employment they would want repaying..... (DBS check for 1) the message was sent (i thought) to HR at head office down south...

it wasnt, the branch manager gets all messages

today our branch manager rang my wife saying if i handed my notice in she would not have any work as they would put other staff on the work we do

he hadnt even tried my number

apart from bullying, intimidation and breach of confidentiality is there anything else he did wrong?

can i join a union? 

he said he could take us off our current work and collect the company vehicle

we are on zero hours contracts, and been at the company almost 2 years
Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,476
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Zero hours contracts says it all, They don't have to offer you any work. 

Also with less than 2 years service and providing your notice period wouldn't take you beyond 2 years you can be dismissed without reason.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,321
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 February at 6:22PM
    If you are on zero hour contracts then surely all they need to do is stop offering you/your wife the hours? What does her contract say about guaranteed work (or not) and how it will be ended? Presuming you are an employee,  under two years service you and your wife don't have any rights to employment protection unless it's due to a protected characteristic. 
    Are your wife's hours  regular hours or do they vary week to week.

You may find that your "bullying and intimidation" is their invoking their right not to offer work if it doesn't suit their business model. And it's not much of a breach of confidentiality in real terms given that your wife was already fully aware of your plan. Yes they should have spoken to you not  her, but in practical terms it hasn't had any impact on you because your wife was already in possession of the information that you were thinking of ending your employment. 

Unions tend not to give support if you only join when you have a problem. And surely it would be your wife who needs to join, not you, if you are packing the job in anyway? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,041
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 February at 11:25PM
    My wife and I work together, based at home, with a company vehicle, she doesnt drive,  we have been with the firm almost 2 years, she has worked with other drivers, but the company decided to place her into my work to save wasted travelling time, etc 

we have discussed me packing in (im almost 70)

I emailed HR asking what fees towards my employment they would want repaying..... (DBS check for 1) the message was sent (i thought) to HR at head office down south...

it wasnt, the branch manager gets all messages

today our branch manager rang my wife saying if i handed my notice in she would not have any work as they would put other staff on the work we do

he hadnt even tried my number

apart from bullying, intimidation and breach of confidentiality is there anything else he did wrong?

can i join a union? 

he said he could take us off our current work and collect the company vehicle

we are on zero hours contracts, and been at the company almost 2 years
    What makes you think he did anything wrong? He was giving your wife useful and relevant information. Just because you didn't like that information doesn't mean he was at fault for explaining the position to your wife (and co-worker). What is 'bullying and intimidatory' about that? And where's the breach of confidence?

You can join a union, but they aren't going to deal with a complaint which has already arisen.

With under two years of employment, and zero hours contracts, you and your wife have no comeback.

So to answer the question posted in the title of your thread: I'd be grateful for the heads up of what the consequences would be.

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,625
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is your wife much younger than you or are you both in receipt if statutory pension? if she is then she could look for other work either within or outside the home. I am presuming that if you are on a zero hour contract that you are also on  minimum wage. There is nothing at all you can do about your current manager, HR work for them to ensure conditions of employment are lawful and in your circumstances your work could cease at any time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback