Question on Default

Can I be defaulted more than once for the same loan?

My understanding when the original lender defaulted me then sell the loan to a debt buyer then a new default would be generated.

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,875
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 February at 11:31PM
    No. It's the same default .         
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,493
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Well, what is a default, in financial terms it means that the agreement you had to repay the debt has ended.

Because of non payment, the terms have been broken, so the lender has decided to cut its losses and end the arrangement.

A debt can default only once, but when a debt is sold, there can be multiple entries for the same account, from both the old and the new owner.

The original entry should show the date of default, and a zero balance, the new entry from the debt buyer, should show the same date of default, and the outstanding balance.

Hopefully that clarifies things.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback