Recover overpaid voluntary NI contribtions?

Having spoken to the Future Pensions advice line, I paid voluntary NI contributions totalling nearly £5000 in order to bring my state pension to the full amount. But doing some delving I have found that in fact I could have transferred some of my wife contributions (without affecting her own pension) because we had school age children and were in receipt of Child Benefit during the time of my contributions shortfall.

What are the chances of recovering the £5k which it seems I didn't need to pay?

Thanks...

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,663
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fairly small I'd suggest.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,300
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Not a chance, they advised you based on what you told them at the time.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,562
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Generally you can only recover them if it is down to an error in advice / information from DWP / HMRC.  Some leeway was given in the past few years due to the panic in filling up and buying the wrong years.  Correctly purchasing years and then finding there was an alternative that was pretty well known but you didn't is unlikely to wash.  But ....... there is only one way to find out.
  • cognis0
    cognis0 Posts: 3
    First Post First Anniversary
    molerat said:
    Generally you can only recover them if it is down to an error in advice / information from DWP / HMRC.  Some leeway was given in the past few years due to the panic in filling up and buying the wrong years.  Correctly purchasing years and then finding there was an alternative that was pretty well known but you didn't is unlikely to wash.  But ....... there is only one way to find out.
    Thanks. I note what you say, but as to being "pretty well known", that might be the case for those who spend their time on forums such as this, but not I think for the Clapham bus dweller..!
    I'll write to them🤔..
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,241
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you write I would be minded to suggest it was paid in error and find a reason why you believe that to be the case, otherwise you are likely simply to get a reply that it can only be refunded if paid in error.  Whether they will accept your reasoning, given that "ignorance of the law" is not a valid excuse for tax/NI purposes, is another question.  Good luck.

• cognis0
    cognis0 Posts: 3
    First Post First Anniversary
    Very helpful, thank you..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills