Unpaid Council Tax Problem

Options
Hi there, not sure if this is the correct sub forum but here we go.

My dad passed away at the beginning of this year leaving our stepmum in the house herself. While looking at his records its become apparent he has been claiming single person discount for 30 years. This has not been done intentionally, English was not his first language and he could not read or speak English very well.

Can anyone advise what could happen here if we try to put the house in our stepmums name? They were married, Will it flag up and can we potentially be backdated for all the council tax? He did not leave a will either so none of this is straightforward. 

Any help really appreciated there is a long waiting list here for citizens advice.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,684 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February at 3:39PM
    Options
    My condolences

You have to put the CT bill into your stepmother's name, because clearly there is a new CT payer. Your stepmother was jointly and severally liable for the CT as she was married to your late father. Unfortunately CT like other taxes is not bound by the 6 year limit ruling, so in theory the council could demand repayment of all the 30 years underpayments either from her or his estate. 

In the council's eyes your father's lack of understanding of English would be no excuse for making a false declaration.

But there is a glimmer of good news. It seems many councils no longer keep CT payment records beyond 6 years. So your stepmother or the estate may only have to pay back 6 years worth of underpayments  
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Kaito_2
    Kaito_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your help, that's what we thought and I was hoping there might be another way around it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback