LOWELL Discount

Options
Hi I got a latter from Lowell for my debt of £15,263.45 they have offered me a 50% reduction which is £7,631.72 I have never made any payments on this debt ever and I've had it for about 6 years I've never responded to any letters or calls. Is it as straightforward as me now paying the 7k and not having any problems in the future.

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It does sound like that.  However you could always clarify, the them, that the payment of 7k will mean the end of your liabilities in respect of the debt to Lowell
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's reaching the 6 year mark and you have never acknowledged it, they may be trying for a last Hail Mary of a payment before it is statute barred. The question will be when the 6 year mark is from when you last acknowledged or paid the debt. Did they take out a CCJ on you?
  • Brandon889
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    If it's reaching the 6 year mark and you have never acknowledged it, they may be trying for a last Hail Mary of a payment before it is statute barred. The question will be when the 6 year mark is from when you last acknowledged or paid the debt. Did they take out a CCJ on you?
    I never acknowledged the debt to any of the collectors I don't have a CCJ. The debt is from the natwest group plc. And is over the 6 year mark
  • Brandon889
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    It does sound like that.  However you could always clarify, the them, that the payment of 7k will mean the end of your liabilities in respect of the debt to Lowell
    It does state "by providing this discount were letting you pay less then is due under your original agreement. your payment plan is a non-contractual waiver of your rights and doesn't change the terms of your original agreement."
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nasqueron said:

Good spot about it being statute barred.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    I never acknowledged the debt to any of the collectors I don't have a CCJ. The debt is from the natwest group plc. And is over the 6 year mark
    https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/can-i-write-off-debt/statute-barred-debt.aspx
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    You need to be clear here - not to the debt collectors, when was the last time you acknowledged the debt in general? If it is over 6 years since you last acknowledged it and they have no CCJ then your debt is statute barred and cannot be enforced, so send them the statute barred letter.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It sounds like they are offering a hefty discount because they know it's unenforceable and effectively worthless.

If you want to make a contribution to Lowell then go ahead but there are more worthwhile charities out there
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,895 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The limitation act allows creditors 6 years to collect simple contract debts such as this, the clock would have started ticking from the date the account defaulted, and as long as you have not made payment or acknowledged the debt in writing within the last 6 years, and no legal action was taken, the debt will be statute barred, and you will not have to pay it.

When creditors/collectors make such massive discount offers, there is always good reason why, in this case the debt is worthless, as it cannot be enforced, so they are hoping you are unaware of the law surrounding this type of thing.

As others have said, you should respond with the statute barred letter in order to deal with this correctly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback