Disabled pensioner and needing a loan

Options
Ridersbolt
Ridersbolt Posts: 22 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 2 February at 11:11AM in Loans
I am a single 70 year old female, have full disability benefits (including max PIP) guaranteed pension credit, retirement pension plus a medium sized private pension. I need a downstairs extension for a bedroom and bathroom due to mobility issues. The council are considering a Grant plus some savings but it won't be enough to cover the whole cost. Are there lenders who will consider me for a loan of say £10,000 in my situation?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's better to ask on  Loans   board.
    Or, possibly, on  Mortgages & endowments one if you are prepared to consider a secured loan.

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you own the property go to a mortgage broker and get a mortgage.  I am nearly 80 and still have a mortgage with 12 years to go.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,638 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you own the property go to a mortgage broker and get a mortgage.  I am nearly 80 and still have a mortgage with 12 years to go.

Minimum amount for a mortgage is usually around £25,000.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have no dependents then you could consider equity release. Repayments on a £10.00o loan are likely to come with a high interest rate whereas equity release would be paid from your residual estate. Otherwise a mortgage secured on your property might be cheaper and allow you to have more work done, A mortgage broker should easily be able to get you one until age 80 at least.. You might want to consider having a OT assessment regarding future needs such as lower worktops in kitchen or raising plug sockets so more accessible.. Please post an update when work completed as we are all getting older and should plan early for our changing needs
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you considered moving to a bungalow? There are a lot of empty properties near me as landlords seem to be getting out of the rental market. May be same near you. Might save you money and even have a small pot left if you downsize. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll ask the forum team to move this to the loan board, as I think £10k would be too small for a mortgage.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ridersbolt
    Options
    gwynlas said:
    If you have no dependents then you could consider equity release. Repayments on a £10.00o loan are likely to come with a high interest rate whereas equity release would be paid from your residual estate. Otherwise a mortgage secured on your property might be cheaper and allow you to have more work done, A mortgage broker should easily be able to get you one until age 80 at least.. You might want to consider having a OT assessment regarding future needs such as lower worktops in kitchen or raising plug sockets so more accessible.. Please post an update when work completed as we are all getting older and should plan early for our changing needs
    Great info thanks. I am in process of obtaining a grant from the council via an OT person who has assessed my future needs although the process is slow, 1 year into a possible 2 year period. Don't wish to take out equity release for personal reasons. The mortgage sounds like the best way to go (or possibly another type of secured loan) I'm still in date lol at age 70. Will update when sorted but might be a long wait! 😁
  • Ridersbolt
    Options
    silvercar said:
    I'll ask the forum team to move this to the loan board, as I think £10k would be too small for a mortgage.
    Thank you!
  • Ridersbolt
    Options
    Have you considered moving to a bungalow? There are a lot of empty properties near me as landlords seem to be getting out of the rental market. May be same near you. Might save you money and even have a small pot left if you downsize. 
    Thanks for info but I've invested time, money and lots of stress building my little eco house over the past 25years so don't wish to move. I bought a "rubbish tip" of 4acres with asbestos buildings on a beautiful position looking over North Devon which I have gradually cleared and made beautiful. In addition, if I had cash left over, my means tested benefits would reduce so in the long run I would lose income. Thanks for your advice anyway. 👍
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback