Batteries

Options
Can those who have batteries installed provide some information about
  • Capacity
  • Expandability
  • Product support
Please, no GivEnergy, I'm thinking of getting rid of the useless system.  

“Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Lux + pylontech is quite popular around here
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Solaredge install, 4kw of panels, 10 years old.

Waiting to install 15kWh of 3 x 5.12kWh Fogstar batteries with a Sunsynk 5kWh hybrid inverter in AC mode.
    This will allow me to install further panels without affecting the current FiT on the Solaredge.

Without plugging Fogstar too much, their prices are a bit of a shock!

I paid £4k for the batteries in a cabinet last August.
    The build quality seems good, can't speak for how they operate as not up and running yet.
    Currently same package is £3k!

Or, they have a much neater 15kWh battery for £2.5k!!!

4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Frogstar looks good.  I hope it is as good as they say, being able to use Victron inverter.  
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • Waywardmike
    Waywardmike Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Growatt SPH3000AC Inverter
    Growatt GBLI 6.5 kWH battery

£3700 fully installed nearly 2 years ago.

The day after install it filled up to full capacity and then sat idle.  I contacted installer and Growatt (in China) and to be fair both did respond in a couple of days but by then I'd figured out that the installer had put the CT clamps on the wrong wire (also moved my iBoost clamp to the wrong wire :/ ). The inverter couldn't 'see' what was being imported/exported. 

Once I'd moved it to where it should be, It behaved exactly as it should and hasn't missed a beat since.  Drops to 10% before stopping, actual usable capacity is ~6kWh.  I can definitely have two 6.5kWh batteries on the same inverter according to Growatt, there are claims from users that it can handle four.

I've seen setups using the same inverter but with Pylontech batteries.

Monitoring platform is garbage IMO, some people get on with it though.  I use a third party software, Solar Assistant.  I can set up two charging or discharging windows.

I use Wonderwatt which is currently free, and they predict the following days solar output and charge the battery accordingly during my cheap Octopus Go period.

It was really cheap comparatively to other systems I was quoted for (inc. GE).  I have no regrets, yet.
    4 Kwp System, South Facing, 35 Degree Pitch, 16 x 250W Solarworld Panels, SMA Sunnyboy 3600 Inverter, Installed 02/09/14 in Sunny South Bedford - £5600
    Growatt AC Coupled SPA3000tl and 6.5kWh battery Installed Apr 2022
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Waiting to install 15kWh of 3 x 5.12kWh Fogstar batteries with a Sunsynk 5kWh hybrid inverter in AC mode.
    This will allow me to install further panels without affecting the current FiT on the Solaredge.

The build quality seems good, can't speak for how they operate as not up and running yet.

Hi
    There was a Fogstar thread opened up for feedback/discussion last year .... when it's working can you keep us updated on your experiences/thoughts on the kit over there to keep everything together ...

Cheers - Z

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zeupater said:

Hi
    There was a Fogstar thread opened up for feedback/discussion last year .... when it's working can you keep us updated on your experiences/thoughts on the kit over there to keep everything together ...

Cheers - Z

And it was that conversation that prompted me to look at Fogstar!

Thanks Z and yes I will :)
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Started with a sofar me3000sp and 3 pylontech,  worked well, but I needed/wanted more.

Got a growatt sph3600 and darfon 5kwh battery to run together with the sofar and was battery disappointed with the growatt, terribly slow to respond and a bad system in general,  threatened growatt with courts to eventually get them to take it back.

My wife loves white goods and one sofar doesn't cover the washing machine and tumble dryer on together, so needed parallel. 
    At that point, no-one knew how to make the sofar run parallel,  (though a friend has now) so the only real option was lux.

I think 4 years ago went to dual lux 3600acs inverters and went from 3 pylontech to 8, and then a few months later added a 9th.
    Been pretty happy with them for the last 4 years, but in moving to being an all electric house 18 months ago, I needed a bit more storage. 
    Looked at adding more pylons, but had my head turned by the seplos 15kwh B cells.
    For the last 3 months I've run one inverter on the 9 pylontech and one inverter on 2 of the 15kwh seplos vertical batteries, and after 2 months of running the seplos, I decided to buy another 2 seplos and to sell my pylontechs. 

Do I need 60kwh of storage?
    Is it a good way to run for roi?
    No, absolutely not, but I've been playing with batteries for over 5 years, and now I'm hoping to just let them run the house and not think about "should I charge today, how sunny will it be tomorrow" etc
    Which I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this thing of checking multiple apps every night, and I just want to not have to.

For the last year of running fully electric,  the 14,000kwh I've bought, less than 2% has been at the on peak price, so I'm pretty happy with my decision. 
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family