PRA Group transfer and offer letter

Options
Hi all, 

I received a letter from PRA group today detailing how they are transferring my account to...PRA group, which is nice, I suppose.

Tucked at the back of 14 pages of Ts&Cs was an account summary showing that I haven't paid anything to the MBNA account that they manage in at least four years. I last wrote to them in April 2019 with a Prove It letter, which they ignored.

Hidden at the bottom of the account summary is an offer to repay 35% of the debt as a full and final settlement. I must confess that I am tempted just to be rid of the damned thing once and for all but I thought I'd check first. Is it worth continuing to ignore letters from PRA Group or should I engage with them and try to negotiate a lower full and final settlement?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    So you wrote to them with a prove-it in April 2019. They didn't or couldn't.

Yet you made a payment in 2020 - is that correct?

It sounds to me that they have no paperwork on this, so I'd ignore and only respond to a formal preaction letter
  • Sly72
    Sly72 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    fatbelly said:

It sounds to me that they have no paperwork on this, so I'd ignore and only respond to a formal preaction letter
     Yet you made a payment in 2020 ?
    I have Dyslexia which is a learning difficulty that primarily affects the skills involved in accurate and fluent word reading and spelling so some post may not make sense.
  • tigergambit
    tigergambit Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, 

I received a letter from PRA group today detailing how they are transferring my account to...PRA group, which is nice, I suppose.

Tucked at the back of 14 pages of Ts&Cs was an account summary showing that I haven't paid anything to the MBNA account that they manage in at least four years. I last wrote to them in April 2019 with a Prove It letter, which they ignored.

Hidden at the bottom of the account summary is an offer to repay 35% of the debt as a full and final settlement. I must confess that I am tempted just to be rid of the damned thing once and for all but I thought I'd check first. Is it worth continuing to ignore letters from PRA Group or should I engage with them and try to negotiate a lower full and final settlement?

Thanks in advance.
    I think they are informing a lot of accounts of this "transfer" .

They aren't asking for payment and haven't responded since 2019. Do nothing unless you get a LBA - this becomes Statute barred next year.
  • hoverFrog1
    hoverFrog1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fatbelly said:

Sorry, no. The account statement shows dates from 23/04/2020 - 22/01/2024 with no payments and no balance adjustments. I assume that this is just how they've chosen to display the available data and that it doesn't actually mean anything.

I don't recall when I last made a payment but I'd guess it was before 2019. The letter conveniently doesn't show a default date and I don't have a record of it. There's also nothing in my credit record that shows a default. 

I was made redundant in October 2018 and I wrote to all my creditors at the time telling them that I couldn't make any payments. That's probably when the default occurred. I followed up with a Prove It letter on 06/01/2019, no doubt around the time I joined this lovely forum.

I have an old SOA from January 2019 that shows a balance of £2699.05, another in December 2019 with the same balance, and another in December 2020 that shows the current balance of £2759.05 so I assume there was a £60 charge for something that they added in.

I'm guessing that PRA Group are notifying me of the transfer of account in the hope that I'll start paying something. The last letter I wrote to them was the 07/04/2019 when I asked that they provide evidence that the debt was enforceable. I'm sure I didn't get a reply.
  • DjangoUnchained
    Options
    definitely ignore, if they haven't obtained the cra in 4 years chances are they wont. Only two more years of ignoring them and then its statute barred.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If the default was Oct 2018, you haven't acknowledged the debt since (prove-it doesn't count) and you live in England/Wales, then the debt goes statute barred in October this year.

The only thing you need to respond to is a formal preaction letter with reply form and 30-day limit.

Post again if you get one
  • kevoxshockwave
    Options
    yup i had 2 emails from these clowns telling me they had transfered 2 debt accounts from PRA Group to PRA Group. Excellent stuff
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had the email too, they said it was transferred from PRA Group to PRA Group UK portfolios, I assume they are just restructuring things for some reason.

I almost just deleted the the email without reading it as it had a similar subject to their discount emails they keep sending me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback