PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker cakes

Options
button_box
button_box Posts: 77 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 31 January at 2:22PM in Old style MoneySaving
I wondered if anyone has had success cooking cakes in their slow cooker? I have seen recipes where they say to put a teatowel under the lid to absorb moisture but I wondered if  cakes would still come out like a steamed pudding.I try to load my conventional oven as much as possible to ensure good use of power but sometimes all I want is to make a cake. I should imagine the use of brown sugar (like in a microwaved cake) is necessary to get a bit of colour. I was wondering about converting the cooking time for some of my cake recipes for a slow cooker. Any successful slow cooker cake recipes using Apples?  I still have a lot of my Bramley crop left.

Comments

• Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 January at 8:42PM
    Options
    Queen cake looks too easy! I'm a little sceptical about the recipe given there is so little fat in it but I shall give it a go (in the combi microwave). 

ETA: now I look at the recipe, it looks like something we used to have as a child. It would start off on the stovetop and the egg would go in after the mixture cooled so it wouldn't scramble.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Queen cake looks too easy! I'm a little sceptical about the recipe given there is so little fat in it but I shall give it a go (in the combi microwave). 

ETA: now I look at the recipe, it looks like something we used to have as a child. It would start off on the stovetop and the egg would go in after the mixture cooled so it wouldn't scramble.
    Queen cake is really really easy. Just leave to soak overnight- I add the sugar (much less!) next day. It doesn't have any fat but you can butter the slices. It's also so versatile as you can tweak the fruit variations as long as you keep the amounts the same.
    I have made it loads of times in the last few years- ever since I saw the recipe in Good Housekeeping magazine. 
    Last time I made it I used chopped dates & dried cranberries instead of the raisins. Yummy especially with a slice of cheese.

I think the cake you talk about is known as a 'boiled cake'. very similar
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    Cheesecake rather than cake, but I've been thinking I fancy trying this in the summer: https://realfood.tesco.com/step-by-step/how-to-make-a-slow-cooker-cheesecake.html 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,184 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    The Christmas before last I made a tea loaf in a slow cooker, using a recipe from the Forum - pics here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/79742584/#Comment_79742584 
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport