Employer overpaid pension by £14.5k - how to fill in self assessment?

Hi, I am trying to fill in my self assessment but cant find out how to declare that my company overpaid my pension £14.5k over my annual allowance. Equally annoying is that my annual allowance in the last 3 yrs has been fully used....

When I fill in my self assessment, it asks if I had private SIPP above and beyond my company pension, which I answer 'No' but by answering that question, I don't have the ability to input anything about my pension contributions? So where and how do I declare this over payment?

For those wondering how this situation arose... part of my pension is a company bond (or something similar) linked to Retail Price Index. Apparently as the RPI has gone up so much, much of the increase (above a government set rate) forms part of my annual allowance. So whilst my normal contributions are below the 40k 2022-23 threshold (my company offer 4% pension and 4% self contribution matched - which I take advantage of), the addition of the RPI increase pushes me well over.

I would ask this on HMRC community, but the captcha required to register is not functioning on any of my 4 devices......arrrggggghhhhhh

All help appreciated :-)

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Google SA150 which is a downloadable pdf telling you how
  • Shrub101
    Shrub101 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    zagfles said:
    Google SA150 which is a downloadable pdf telling you how
    Thanks, but that doesnt really help, it talks about logging income from a foreign pension or logging contributions to a SIPP pension scheme but specifically says that the section is not relevant to contributions to your employers pension scheme!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Search for annual allowance. It's there on page 4
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills