Overpaid holiday pay!

Hi I’ve worked for my employer for 2 years. I’ve recently been told I’ve been overpaid holiday for 7.5 hours for this financial year. I wasn’t informed of this until now so I’m not sure why it was approved. My employer is giving me the option of having it taken out of my next pay or working it for free! Is there any other less awful options? Thank you 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,672
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You could ask for it to be taken out over a number of pay periods, I suppose. They may say no.
  • The_Unready
    The_Unready Posts: 595
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You haven't said whether or not you agree with what the employer is telling you. Have you double-checked your payments and leave totals? If so, do you agree that you have been overpaid?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,270
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If by a less awful option you mean keeping the money and not having to pay the holiday back, pretty unlikely unless they’ve made a mistake.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,811
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You could ask for next year's leave entitlement to be reduced but they don't have to agree.

As stated, do you agree with their calculations?

You're surprised it was approved: whoever signed it off may be surprised that you asked for more than you're entitled to. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,813
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Emmaher said:
    Hi I’ve worked for my employer for 2 years. I’ve recently been told I’ve been overpaid holiday for 7.5 hours for this financial year. I wasn’t informed of this until now so I’m not sure why it was approved. My employer is giving me the option of having it taken out of my next pay or working it for free! Is there any other less awful options? Thank you 
    Legally it is as much your responsibility as your employer's to ensure that your pay and holiday are correct, Either party is entitled to have any error corrected.

So, whilst I can understand your frustration, the employer is quite within their rights to correct the error.
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 252
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    not quire sure  what  a 'less  awful' option   would be ?

it's  one day's pay if you work  a typical  '8 hour' shift / working day, it;s less than day;s pay if you  do 10s or 12s 

the 'work it for free'  option is that  puull a day  from next  year;s leave  or  do a day's overtime for 'free' or just OT premium ?

a lot  of this depends on your  working pattern ...  

• timmy963
    timmy963 Posts: 122
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Emmaher said:
    You won't be working for free though, because you have already been paid for time off which you shouldn't have had.

By working it, you are just balancing out what is essentially an over payment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback